11 ways to be a better roleplayer

Iosue

Legend
Here's a recent article I was directed to.

What do you think? I like a lot of what he says, but I daresay some of it will seem controversial to others.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I am in full support of this article. Being a veteran gamer and having fallen in with a group of relative n00bs to tabletop RPGs, all of whom want to both DM and play... yeah. This article rocks my [Eric's grandma] socks.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
A really good list! Basically, we're all there to have some fun together - so everyone involved should act like it.

Ahnehnois

First Post
TWO. Realise that your character does not exist outside of the things you have said.
This one struck me as really interesting. As a DM, I realize that distinction. I know that plans I have are not "canon" until they are explicitly included in the game, and sometimes I make radical changes to offscreen elements that I had going in my head. As a player, people get very attached to their backgrounds and it's much harder to be flexible in that way. There is some merit to the notion of linearity and consistency, but nonetheless this is an interesting issue to raise.

TEN. Embrace failure.
Yep, that's a tough one for some people (probably most people). Important though.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I believe we should round up all the PC's who want to steal from and/or assassinate their fellow PC's and only let them game with each other.

... and don't try to argue that my Lawful Good Paladin wouldn't instantly behead (or at least cut off a hand of) your lying, thieving character when caught red-handed. :rant:

Remove ads