D&D 5E 16 More Details About Theros

The latest edition of WotC's online magazine contains some juicy tidbits about Mythic Odysseys of Theros!

The latest edition of WotC's online magazine contains some juicy tidbits about Mythic Odysseys of Theros!

theros2jpg.jpg

1. It features Volothamp Geddarm.
  2. It was headed up by James Wyatt, who used to work on D&D, and now works on Magic: The Gathering. He worked on the 3E Deities & Demigods.
  3. It's based on a novella, which Wyatt spent considerable time researching.
  4. He also read about the government of Athens, and the Greek calendar.
  5. Subclasses include the College of Eloquence bard ("the philosopher ideal'), the Oath of Heroism paladin, and the Forge and Grave cleric domains.
  6. The DMG piety system has been "blown up into a huge thing"... "That includes all sorts of rewards and restrictions for characters who choose to devote themselves to a god and track their piety.”
  7. New magic items of the gods - artifacts and weapons.
  8. “Everyone gets this extra leg up that is a gift of the gods, which is separate from the usual character background. It may be a magical thing about your nature, such as you have the mind of a sphinx and your thoughts can’t be read. Or you might be an oracle, which is an opportunity for your Dungeon Master to give you plenty of adventure hooks. It’s a straight power-up but not a huge power-up”
  9. A table of omens with 100 entries.
  10. Minotaurs, centaurs, merfolk (tritons from Volo), satyrs, leonine.
  11. “The leonin is a different, stronger cat person, not just a tabaxi!”
  12. "Satyrs are pretty much as you would expect. They’re party animals with good Dexterity and Charisma, they have a headbutt attack, they’re fast, they’re fey, they resist magic and they have musical instrument proficiency and persuasion."
  13. Different lore for D&D creatures to match the Greek setting.
  14. Mythic threats are boss fights. More than legendary. Aresta of the Endless Web is a spider. Has baby spiders which fight you.
  15. Dyson Logos did the maps.
  16. "There’s a temple of Athreos in two parts, split by the river that flows between the mortal world and the underworld."
theros1.jpg

dave2008

Legend
I'm most curious to see how the rules amp players up into greco-mythic legends. A mythic 5E has been a long time coming. The rules do well for low-magic low-power and mid-ranges. Curious to see the new design ideas!
I am too, but based on the description in the article and the 5e history, I wouldn't expect to many rules. It sounds like it is basically an additional "background" that gives more mechanical benefits. Just really dipping their toes into the idea. Which is fine by me, leaves me more room to explore the concept.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I am too, but based on the description in the article and the 5e history, I wouldn't expect to many rules. It sounds like it is basically an additional "background" that gives more mechanical benefits. Just really dipping their toes into the idea. Which is fine by me, leaves me more room to explore the concept.
I'll see when it releases, but I think I'll take Mythic Paths and give them as choices at level 11, which is when I consider the players enter the ''advanced'' part of their build at my table: no new HP on level up, slower level up etc.

I'll make them like a soft conversion of Paragon Paths from 4e that mark the arrival of my players to new play level.

And the piety system will be a huge boon in my ''year 0 Faerun'' where gods are banished and silent: divine characters will need to show a lot of faith and conviction to receive (or self-generate) divine powers in the face of silence!

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I hate to bellyache . . . but Bard of Eloquence is a rhetorician, not a philosopher. High Charisma, but probably not so much on the Intelligence or Wisdom. And I want some philosophers, but I suppose anyone with a high Intelligence or Wisdom in this setting might fit the bill.
Maybe they changed it since the UA to make use of Intelligence.

ddaley

Explorer
I just pre-ordered on DnD Beyond... so I could get the character sheet backgrounds. I would buy the content anyway... might as well get the pre-order bonus! I'll probably get the physical book too, 'cause I usually prefer that for general reading.

Remove ads

Remove ads