D&D 3E/3.5 1e, 2e, 3/3.5e or 4e to 5e Conversion guidelines?

Wik

First Post
I've posted this before, but I'll repeat here because it's pertinent - converting adventures to 5e from other editions (or even other games!) is super easy. In fact, I'm about 25% of the way through converting Dungeon Crawl Classics "People of the Pit"... and I started an hour ago. And that's not even for a D&D game!

(I've also considered converting an Earthdawn Adventure, but haven't had players bit any hooks laid down yet).

Here's the basic outline of how to convert:

1. Figure out what treasures in the adventure are vital to the adventure. For example, if the adventure has a lot of fire beasts, and there's a potion of fire resistance, make sure you keep it. If the plot revolves around an item, obviously you'll have to keep it,too, but I'd suggest toning down its abilities to the bare minimum. 5e is not magic-item heavy.

2. Get rid of all other treasure. It's best to start from scratch when determining treasure.

3. Now, figure out what treasure you want to reward. Me, I roll up about 12 individual treasures, and 1 hoard treasure, which I multiply by 1.5. I put all this on a master list, and whenever the module I'm converting awards a treasure, I pick something from my hoard list instead. I use this as a general guideline but truth be told, I probably give out a bit more treasure than what's on my list.

4. Figure out what your budget is for encounters. I use the rules, and write up a note saying something like "easy = 300 XP, medium = 600 XP, Hard = 900 XP, Deadly = 1200 XP" or whatever else. I also include the number of foes multipliers for ease of reference.

5. When converting monster amounts in the adventure, consult that list. You can break it if you'll like, but I use it as a general guideline. I've found older editions tend to have more swarms of monsters, 3e usually has less than 4 monsters in any one encounter, and 4e has a pretty easy mix, but that's just a rule of thumb. If your encounter has only 1 monster, I'd suggest making it legendary if the PCs are higher level, or else give it some way to be a bit more of a threat. 5e doesn't do "solos" very well (really, all editions of D&D are like that, except maybe 4e).

6. Notes have been made on converting monsters. They're good to use. Personally, I just find a monster similar in challenge rating to what I want, and size, and go from there. For example, in "People of the Pit", when the cultists die, an "octo-mass" erupts from their body that continues the attack. When I converted the module, I made the cultists normal monster manual cultists (albeit with a different weapon), and when they die, as a reaction, the octo-mass erupts from the body and attacks (or tries to grab the weapon that made the killing blow!). I used kobolds as the core stats for the octo-mass, but changed damage types, gave them reach (tentacles should have reach), and blindsight and a few damage resistances, fire vulnerability, but only 4 hit points. It seems an even trade.

7. As you convert, maybe you'll want to change things for your own tastes. Always do this. It's fun. Change out hobgoblins for orcs if that floats your boat. Add in stuff. You're already putting in some work, there's NO reason you shouldn't be creative.

8. Re-write any traps that come up. Seriously, just start from scratch. there are pretty good trap creation rules, and they'll serve you well as you convert. If you just try to keep the flavour of the trap intact, everything should be fine. I'd recommend getting rid of traps in hallways completely, unless there's a good reason (for example, there's a visual clue that PCs should be looking for traps).

9. If you're converting an older edition, it can help to know some of the rules terminology. this isn't necessary (I'm converting a DCC module and I don't know their game rules at all, and it's been al ong time since I've played Earthdawn), but it's a good place to start. If you don't have the books for the edition, some asking around will help out.

10. Don't go overboard. Not every monster needs its own special statblock. Paizo games do this frequently - so many encounters have their own stat blocks. You can get away with making "Hurg, the Stone Giant Jarl" that has a three page stat block, in your notes, "Hurg, stone giant. Has 40 extra hit points, and does 1d6 extra damage on a hit". If the players don't see your notes, who cares!?

Aaron Burton

First Post
I see many ways to convert pre 5e editions to 5e but not the other way around. My party all despises 5e, and i'm getting a chance to DM soon in upcoming gatherings and the campaign i really really want them to play is in 5e. So i want to find a way to convert 5e to 3e, so i've been searching for ways online, using keywords and sentences, but all i can find is way to convert pre 5e to 5e. I just want to convert it back, but i don't know how. Can i get some help?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I see many ways to convert pre 5e editions to 5e but not the other way around. My party all despises 5e, and i'm getting a chance to DM soon in upcoming gatherings and the campaign i really really want them to play is in 5e. So i want to find a way to convert 5e to 3e, so i've been searching for ways online, using keywords and sentences, but all i can find is way to convert pre 5e to 5e. I just want to convert it back, but i don't know how. Can i get some help?
Sounds like a lot of work, O Necromancer, and hardly anybody is likely going to even have tried.. Maybe take a look at the the official 3.x to 5E conversions and work backwards on the math. Or wing it.

Li Shenron

Legend
I haven't made any attempt to convert anything so I have no real reference about it. Without taking a deeper look it sounds more simple to convert from 3/3.5/4e to 5e because they are all d20 system and therefore more similar, requiring less conversion. Is this correct?

This topic has been popular since the start of 5e... IMO you need to tell us what is the purpose of your conversion: would you like to convert rules, character material, monsters or adventures? Would you like to convert for publishing your conversion or for using it in your own games? To me the latter question makes all the difference!

I have myself converted some 3e material into 5e, mainly from the Rokugan campaign setting books. But I have also converted adventures from BECMI/AD&D/3e to 5e for my own use, and this kind of conversions I always do on the fly. That's because they are just for us to play, and I don't need spend time thinking about a "perfect" conversion... all I need to is mostly to use the 5e version of monsters, use the most similar 5e magic items OR use the adventure's version with small mechanical adjustments (mostly dump/compress +s for bounded accuracy), and improvise reasonable DCs. Very little else is ever needed. But obviously converting an AD&D kit or 3e prestige class is entirely another matter, since once a player takes that into use, it's permanent for the rest of the campaign.

CapnZapp

Legend
Without taking a deeper look it sounds more simple to convert from 3/3.5/4e to 5e because they are all d20 system and therefore more similar, requiring less conversion. Is this correct?
One huge omission is the way magic items and how to price and create them is integral to the 3rd edition look and feel, and yet, WotC has only released utterly useless guidelines if you want to maintain a functional utility-based magic item economy.

This is probably the greatest hole in all of 5th edition's legacy support (possibly with the exception of 4th edition, but I don't care for that look and feel so it isn't my problem).

As to your specific 2015 :) question, I would guess AD&D and 3rd edition adventures are the easiest to convert to 5E.

That's a tough one. We'd need to know why they despise 5e to help with this probably.

CapnZapp

Legend
That's a tough one. We'd need to know why they despise 5e to help with this probably.
Or maybe we just dismiss this post as trolling...? Or, at the very least, off topic - since it's literally the opposite of what the OP asked about?

The poster can always start a new thread, perhaps in the forum discussing the editions he does like?

Please don't encourage this thread turning into a "X things I hate about the edition y'all are playing happily" thread.

Remove ads