• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 1e/3e Style Experience Calculator

Turgenev

Hero
Coredump said:
Turg,
Let me get this straight, you give each creature a set amount of XP, and then give the characters a percentage of that, depending on difficulty. So, how is this different than the DMG version?

The big difference (to me at least), is that my "system" predates the CR version by a good 12 years plus. :) IIRC, I got the idea originally from a Dragon article. After all, modifying XPs based on the difficulty of the encounter isn't a new idea. All I did was tweak it for 3e – basically it is a hybrid of 1st & 3rd editions, but most of my game tends to run that way anyways. :D

The only difference I see, is that your method provides less flexibility in assigning the original XP, less flexibility in assigning a modifying percentage modifier, and more flexibility on when to use a modifier.

Okay, if you say so. :rolleyes: Less flexibility in assigning a modifying percentage modifier? That's straight out of the 3e DMG. Blame it, not me. As for "more flexibility on when to use a modifier". Count on it! I also use my XP "system" as a guideline. Nothing is written in stone. I'll tweak the numbers as the situation warrants it (if we just had a fantastic gaming session – then I might award more XPs as a bonus, or someone does something wonderful – they might earn extra XPs, etc.).

One idea that I've been thinking of implementing is assigning set XPs to Story Awards. 50 XP for a minor plot, 150 for a major plot point, modified by the characters level. I'm also toying with the idea of handing out 25 XPs per crucial skill use/successful checks (not counting taking 10 or 20). I also have a friend who gives out bonus XPs for character journals (50 XP times character level). I think I might adopt something similar. There are many ways to doing experience points than just counting coup.

The DMG method does assign a set XP amount. (CR*300) and it is a 'normal' difficulty against a 4 person party of a level = CR. If the CR is greater/lower, than the XP is 'modified' for being more or less difficult.

I know how CRs work, thank you. I have read the DMG. I just don't use them.

No, he isn't. I created the scenario. I am pointing out a flaw in the system.

Ahhh, but I was pointing out the flaw in your "scenario" that made your point feeble. There are two points you need to consider:
1) A higher level character should spend most of his time fighting against opponents of equal or slightly higher levels. Otherwise what's the use? A 15th level character shouldn't be routinely facing the same opponents as a 5th level character would. Thus the "flaw" that they would both earn the same XPs when facing an opponent doesn't prove to be much of a problem since the two characters would face opponents geared specifically towards them (or slightly tougher).
2) If the encounter doesn't present a challenge to the PCs, then they do not gain any XPs from it. I've used this rule since my 1st edition days.
In other words, if the PCs don't have to sweat for it, they don't earn it. :)

Now, you can tweak the reality, by making sure harder Ogres are now there, but that is just 'fixing' a weak part of the system. Remember, the original proposal had nothing to indicate modifying due to difficulty. And even assuming there are some bigger baddies there, the 'flunky' Ogres still provide too big of a boost to the XP total. A 15th lvl fighter is more than 3x a 5th level fighter, but the gained XP is still 1/3. Now, your system seems to modify that further, but you are introducing as much 'tweaking' as needed in the DMG system.

LOL! I'm not fixing anything. I was just adjustng the enounter to a more realistic scenario. As far as I'm concerned, one should always attempt to challenge their players with the encounters (hence the reference to more powerful ogres). I suggest it was your "scenario" that was faulty in the first place. My campaigns don't tend to play out the way you gave since I don't waste my players' time, or my own, by sending them through cake walks (not counting canon fodder – canon fodder has its uses) and then awarding XPs for it afterwards. I'll leave you to worry about something that doesn't seem to bother me or my group at all. I'll agree to disagree.

Lets say the fighter attacks a group of Ogres, including some really tough ones (levels, magi, whatever) if the *encounter* was tough, do you still modify the XP from the base ogres??

I guess it would truly depend on the scenario. If the regular Ogres are using good tactics (or they are canon fodder) to keep the PCs away from the Ogre Magi while it casts its spells at the party, then I would include them in the XP award. Course the actual number of Ogres would effect the encounter also. Get enough Ogres in one room and I don't care what level you are, they will cause trouble. :)

Cheers,
Tim

Turgenev

Hero
CombatWombat51 said:
Turgenev - How long have you been using the 1e table in 3e? I thought about just using it as is, but I thought that there would end up being too many gray areas between "Special Ability" bonuses and "Exception Ability" bonuses. Do you have any problems with that? I think that I wouldn't have too much of a problem, but one of my players who's interested in DMing, and using this new (er, old) XP calculator might get too many headaches from deciding what ability counts as what. Does it work well enough for you?

I've been using it with 3e for just over a year now and it seems to be working out fine. I should note that our rate of play has been erratic over the last 6 months or so. We only get to play one or two times a month, with each session pretty much lasting for the whole day (all day/night saturday and another 6 hrs on Sunday) :)

It works fine for me, but I'm just using the same XP system that I have always used, modified for 3e. What can I say, I have always liked house rules. :)

If a person isn't used to using the XP table from the 1e D&D guide, then I would probably recommend sticking with the CR system. It does have the advantage of being built into the system, thus allowing a new DM one less thing to worry about. ;) The 1e approach is a bit more work that a new DM shouldn't have to worry about. Once he gets a bit more time under his belt as a DM, then he can think of such things. YMMV :)

There is a bit of gray area between "Special Ability" and "Exceptional Ability". What I did was break the two catagories into 3e terms and tried my best to make things fit. :)

SPECIAL ABILITIES:
Feats
Attributes of 16+
Certain skills
Multiple attacks (3 or more)
as per the 1e DMG

EXCEPTIONAL ABILITIES:
"Improved" Feats
Attributes 20+
as per the 1e DMG

I'm in the process of putting together a D&D website that will have my various house rules including my list of converted MM monsters to a modified 1e/3e based number (the ones from my campaign plus a few others). I'll post the url once I get it in any resemblance of order. ;)

Cheers,
Tim

Turgenev

Hero
DonAdam said:
On an only slightly related topic...

Our group has a bias towards 1e xp as well, in that we like the exponential rate, but we like the CR system.

We definately have a 1st edition bias in my games. We still use the racial age categories from the 1ed DMG - same with the racial height/weight determination charts. As a DM, I still use the 1e DMG Gem table for determing the type and value of gems/jewelry found in the campaign. I would also recommend using the Appendix tables - great resources all around (especially Appendix K: DESCRIBING MAGICAL SUBSTANCES :p).

Cheers,
Tim

Remove ads