• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

2 New Classes Announced

Shemeska

Adventurer
Couple of random thoughts here while I'm jazzed up on caffeine here at almost 3am, with my brain already dizzy from playing Disgaea 3. So take this as total speculation and ideal world type stuff.

As far as planar books go, there are a couple of types of books that I would love to see both as a player and as writer should the opportunity present itself. TGB worked well as an overview of Golarion's cosmology, and for any deeper look at specific planes and/or their inhabitants I think we've just seen the first prototype of that with Wes Scheider's book on devils and Hell. Setting specific content that can also be strip-mined for use outside of Golarion should you feel so inclined, and it's a damn fine read.

I'd love to see similar books on demons and daemons, and depending on the business side of things being yay or nay for it, a similar book to cover the proteans and the Maelstrom, a book for Axis and the axiomites (and also touching on the inevitables and formians), and then possibly a set of books on the celestials or one book covering all of them. A book on the inner sphere would likewise rock on toast (elemental, ethereal, shadow, energy planes, etc).

As far as gigantic hardcovers, that's where things get interesting. I really like the idea of a cosmology-building book and a guide for running planar campaigns/integrating the planes into more conventional campaigns. You could present several alternate cosmological models, different ways of approaching gods, the role of alignments, etc. You could provide some details on a planar location developed intentionally for setting planar games there (like how Sigil and its portals opened up the planes in 2e), and in that case I have one in mind that would be cool to expand upon (Galisemni the City of the Celestial and the Damned, adrift within the Maelstrom's borderlands).

The same book could have sample planar organizations, your standard potpouri of items/spells/feats, some new planar PC races and bloodline options for sorcerors, tiefling and aasimar traits, etc.

If by "full fledged," you mean a 320 page hardcover book... we'll see.

*drool*

Drkfathr1

First Post
Couple of random thoughts here while I'm jazzed up on caffeine here at almost 3am, with my brain already dizzy from playing Disgaea 3. So take this as total speculation and ideal world type stuff.

As far as planar books go, there are a couple of types of books that I would love to see both as a player and as writer should the opportunity present itself. TGB worked well as an overview of Golarion's cosmology, and for any deeper look at specific planes and/or their inhabitants I think we've just seen the first prototype of that with Wes Scheider's book on devils and Hell. Setting specific content that can also be strip-mined for use outside of Golarion should you feel so inclined, and it's a damn fine read.

I'd love to see similar books on demons and daemons, and depending on the business side of things being yay or nay for it, a similar book to cover the proteans and the Maelstrom, a book for Axis and the axiomites (and also touching on the inevitables and formians), and then possibly a set of books on the celestials or one book covering all of them. A book on the inner sphere would likewise rock on toast (elemental, ethereal, shadow, energy planes, etc).

As far as gigantic hardcovers, that's where things get interesting. I really like the idea of a cosmology-building book and a guide for running planar campaigns/integrating the planes into more conventional campaigns. You could present several alternate cosmological models, different ways of approaching gods, the role of alignments, etc. You could provide some details on a planar location developed intentionally for setting planar games there (like how Sigil and its portals opened up the planes in 2e), and in that case I have one in mind that would be cool to expand upon (Galisemni the City of the Celestial and the Damned, adrift within the Maelstrom's borderlands).

The same book could have sample planar organizations, your standard potpouri of items/spells/feats, some new planar PC races and bloodline options for sorcerors, tiefling and aasimar traits, etc.

*drool*

Hmmmmm. That completely changes my mind on a big Planar book. That could actually be very useful and interesting.

Sinvel Menter

First Post
Planar Adventures

I, for one, think that the one area where there is the most fertile ground in the RPG world for expansion is in the planes. I have every single 3x compatible book available, and I am disappointed in all of them. None of the planar worlds are fleshed out beyond one or two pages, and even then there are very few.

I would love to see a hardcover 300+ page book with an entire chapter devoted to (basically a campaign setting for) one plane of existence. I think the largest area of improvement in this area is also for the explanation of the various strange encounters you would find while visiting. Almost all of the planar descriptions are great in describing a wild landscape, but only in one or two sentences. I'd like to see things like that fully fleshed out. What would these crazy creatures/vegetation/aura do when interacted with by the PCs?

I think this would be a huge hit. How many campaigns already involve taking the PCs to a pocket dimension of strange plane, and how many are ever fully explained? Most of the time its just up to the DMs to create crazy rules for this stuff on the fly, which is difficult.

I think it would be a highly creative thing to assemble and a highly memorable thing to play if done correctly!

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
well, I just have to put my two coppers in here.

The books I would be interested in would be the asian book, the middle eastern book, more beasies and maybe an ocian going source book.

as for the witch having a chrisma Primary attribute, I would have to argue the idea of wisdom being the main attribute. the old wise woman in the swamp or distant cave or something. not pretty, disdained for their looks, but willing to forgive those who had no use for them, but the Gods were able to speak to him/her in the seclusion of their abandonment by the society in general.

in the 'conversations' that ensued the person grew in wisdom quickly.

James Jacobs

Adventurer
Are we going to get to playtest all hard cover books? :D

No; we won't be playtesting the monster books. And we won't be playtesting the Gamemastery Guide. We'll probably be limiting our public playtests to one or MAYBE two of the hardcover books a year, and are unlikely to publicly playtest the entire book.

For the Advanced Player's Guide, the plan is to publicly playtest the six new base classes, but not the remaining content of the book.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads