D&D 5E 2020 Release Speculation Thread

Parmandur

Book-Friend
When I think about the ways they've been bundling things successfully I would not be surprised if a Dragons book was also a DragonLance book.

I could see such a book having a similar relationship to DL as MToF does to Greyhawk: there, bit a minor note, though I would expect Draconians to appear: and hey, they brought Draconians up in the most recent Dragon Talk as something they need to cover in Lore You Should Know.

Tito and Perkins keep making jokes about Gem Dragons, too...

Last edited:

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I could see such a book having a similar relationship to DL as MToF does to Greyhawl: there, bit a minor note, though I would expect Draconians to appear: and hey, they brought Draconians up in the most recent Dragon Talk as something they need to cover in Lore You Should Know.

Tito and Perkins keep making jokes about Gem Dragons, too...
I expect a drip of subclasses

I think a Xanathar's Guide 2 (or similar) is seeming increasingly likely for the first half of 2020. As well as new subclasses it will carry a reprint of the artificer for non-Eberronites (but only alchemist and archivist subclasses), and a reprint/expansion of the sidekick rules from the Essentials Kit. Perhaps filled out with additional manoeuvres for battlemasters, invocations for warlocks, and infusions for artificers.

Other than that, a couple of adventure books? If I have to engage in wild speculation about those, I would guess a high level plane travelling adventure featuring a Sigil gazetteer.

So, one thing to keep in mind: the vehicle rules used in Ghosts of Saltmarsh and Descent into Avernus were revealed by Mike Mearls when talking to NeebieDM at D&D Live to be based on Mass Combat rules still in development for WotC by a gentleman named Joseph A. McCullough. McCullough appears to be a hardcore war gamer, and what he is working on might be ready for primetime next year:

If anything is likely to go in a box it would be this. They may well do them in a stand alone format (i.e. don't need D&D rules to play).

gyor

Legend
I think it will be an hardcover adventure, either Al Qadim Setting and Kara Tur Setting books, a Hardcover Planeshift Book of Magic the Gathering Settings (and possibly a couple of minor D&D Settings), a PDF Playtest Dragonlance and Greyhawk Setting Books (which doesn't count towards their hardcover book limit). Debrah's adventure book might or might not count towards the hard cover book limit like Acquisitions Inc Hardcover Book didn't. Plus their will be another Tortle Package like PDF linked to Extra Life.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Possible. But if they wanted to do battlemaps on a unit scale other than 1 inch = 5 feet it would warrant a box.

And it might suit parent company Hasbro to release a stand alone mass combat game with the D&D branding.

Based on the vehicle rules released so far, it would seem that Theatre of the Mind comparability is an important feature of the system they are working on, not miniature focused (though useable).

I would absolutely love a Dragonlance book. A new war of the lance, with PCs fighting in great big battles, would be pretty cool.

I'll always hope for a new Manual of the Planes, but there aren't any signs pointing to that next year.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases