D&D 5E 2020 Release Speculation Thread

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Reply to OP.

I hope to see the following:

1). A new player option book, with each of the new sub-classes they’ve been releasing on Unearthed Arcana linked to a different plane of existence.

2). A new adventure path, most likely set in the Forgotten Realms, but with nice guidelines on how to incorporate the adventure into Eberron.
The story itself? No idea, although I hope WOTC focuses on some other area of the Forgotten Realms besides the Sword Coast.

3). A new anthology book of classic modules updated for 5e. Set in Greyhawk.

4). A hardcover campaign guide to either Dark Sun or Dragonlance. I know, it’s more likely to be introduced as a PDF on DMs Guild first, but I can dream...

Enrico Poli1

Adventurer
My expectations:

1 & 2) Two new hardcover adventures, one in the Forgotten Realms, the other in Eberron

3) A collection of old modules, similar to Ghosts of Saltmarsh

4) Another hardcover, something new (not a setting, it's too early after Eberron, and not a monster or options book; maybe the one with all-female authors suggested by Welsh)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The problem I have with the Paizo approach is that while I am initially interested, I completely forget about the product and end up not knowing when it actually comes out!

Which matches precisely with what WotC has said their market research has found. That 3-4 month window from announcing a product, previewing a product and releasing a product has proven very fruitful.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Do you know what I would love to see?

A book with multiple, non-Western, flavors. In other words, a way to place various differentiate, non-"Vaguely Pseudo-European Medieval" areas within a campaign setting.

In other words, some versions of rules for a "Kara Tur," an "Al Qadim," a "Maztica," and so on. Maybe even an "ancient European" version as well (Greek, Roman?).

That's what I'd love to see! Because that would allow for so many play options, would really expand 5e in a lot of ways, and would be useful to many people (you could place them in most large "sandbox" type settings, either as the OG FR versions or as the unexplored areas in other settings).

Why don't I see it happening? Well, TBH a lot of this material needs to be handled very carefully today (correctly so!), and I can foresee the difficulties with trying to do too much. ;)

Well, that seems certainly possible. The current approach to Settings is about "Setting as Genre" with Adventure generation opportunities to get a different from baseline feel down. I could see them bringing in people who are, y'know, Asian or Arabic to write some solid stuff for such a book or books.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Do you know what I would love to see?

A book with multiple, non-Western, flavors. In other words, a way to place various differentiated, non-"Vaguely Pseudo-European Medieval" areas within a campaign setting.

In other words, some versions of rules for a "Kara Tur," an "Al Qadim," a "Maztica," and so on. Maybe even an "ancient European" version as well (Greek, Roman?).

That's what I'd love to see! Because that would allow for so many play options, would really expand 5e in a lot of ways, and would be useful to many people (you could place them in most large "sandbox" type settings, either as the OG FR versions or as the unexplored areas in other settings).

Why don't I see it happening? Well, TBH a lot of this material needs to be handled very carefully today (correctly so!), and I can foresee the difficulties with trying to do too much. ;)

I actually think based on Wizard's comments that material inspired by other cultures is very likely, though maybe not in 2020. The easy way to "handle this carefully," is to freelance writers who are actually from the cultural that it's inspired from.

I could very easily see them setting a new adventure book in Al-Qadim or Kara-tur. A new setting book/rules there less so, but a precedent was already set with ToA and Chult.

Enrico Poli1

Adventurer
Maybe you are right.

But IMO, for WotC to support a BIG setting without producing any adventures, and not letting enough time for fans to experiment with it, would be a bad move. IMO, a BIG setting every two years is a good ratio.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Maybe you are right.

But IMO, for WotC to support a BIG setting without producing any adventures, and not letting enough time for fans to experiment with it, would be a bad move. IMO, a BIG setting every two years is a good ratio.

We already have two big settings in 12 months, though? I see no reason to suspect they will not continue with that pattern if they sell product. I doubt we will see official WotC Eberron Adventures soon, outside of the DMsGuild.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases