D&D (2024) 2024 PHB Race discussion

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I would really like to do what you ask. The problem is that I have very limited opportunity to engage with D&D socially; I don't game as much as I'd like, and almost everyone I game with is just less invested in the hobby than I am. The internet is my only outlet, and almost all the conversation is about new stuff and how great it is that the game is moving away from what I enjoy. It just makes me sad.

And as for WotC, I have been emotionally invested in D&D for over 30 years, and overall enjoyed the TSR version more than any of WotC's. 5e is actually my favorite rule set, but for everything else about the game I prefer the TSR way. In the last few years, WotC has been explicitly moving away, in the rules, from the only thing about them I really loved. My players don't care about any of this stuff, so I really feel all alone. There's no point in getting mad at WotC about it, it won't change anything. But I'm still mad.
I definitely get that. I felt similarly when the Next playtest was announced. 4e was the first D&D i unambiguously enjoyed and didn’t feel any great need to change anything about, and the virulent hatred that wizards caved to really bothered me.

But there is a lot of the D&D community that is engaged with putting old school ethos into 5e mechanical structures, updating old lore, etc.

Perhaps if you start some threads with those goals in mind, many of us here will be able to help you feel engaged with the hobby again in a way that is positive.

I know that I love to tinker with both the mechanics and discuss more in depth lore, I just don’t want the books to get more complex or more lore heavy, because the way they are doing things leaves the game more open for me to tailor it exactly to what I want from it.

Maybe the community can engage with you on making your D&D, rather than bringing others down?

Remove ads