D&D (2024) 2024 PHB Race discussion

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Not to bump my own thread. But...

A few more observations:

Humans are the two feat race now. Its just the starter feats, but still, this might be a good niche to have.

On the other hand, the loss of the half-elf saddens me. I don't mind "your character can have any parents they want!". In fact I would like more nods to reskinning. But the half-elf as a thing is very D&D, and they have been a popular race option over the years.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Pretty sure I mentioned it in the main plates thread, but I'm pretty sure that what I'll be doing is setting up some specific half races. I'll be taking the human and perhaps replacing the feat with an elf or orc ability to get that flavour. I find the whole, pick your parents and get the stats of one but mix your height/age based on both.

pukunui

Legend
Yeah, I’ll miss the half-elf. They have always been my favorite race in D&D.

One thing I don’t like is that they’re keeping what amounts to cultural traits for some races but calling them divine gifts or whatever (e.g. The dwarf’s tool proficiencies - and in Spelljammer, the giff’s firearms proficiency).

The reason I don’t like this is because it doesn’t play well with settings where the gods either don’t exist or their existence is uncertain. How does one explain these divinely-inspired cultural traits in a setting like Eberron, for example?

As seemingly the only person who liked the standard, non-variant human (basically if I rolled more than 4 odd numbers I played one) I miss that. I think 1st level feats are a really great idea for intermediate or advanced players. For brand new players making them delve straight into the whole complicated feat system just to play a human is... unfortunate.

But while I'll miss +1 to everything human option, I'll miss Half-Elves more. They've always been my favorite D&D race, and in 5e they are also mechanically perfect for my tastes.

I think the rest of my 5e characters will be Half-Elves so that I can get as much joy as I can out of them before I have to ask a DM to let me homebrew one at some future D&D table. Playing only Half-Elves won't be a major change for me, just now I'll be doing it with purpose.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
One thing I don’t like is that they’re keeping what amounts to cultural traits for some races but calling them divine gifts or whatever (e.g. The dwarf’s tool proficiencies - and in Spelljammer, the giff’s firearms proficiency).

The reason I don’t like this is because it doesn’t play well with settings where the gods either don’t exist or their existence is uncertain. How does one explain these divinely-inspired cultural traits in a setting like Eberron, for example?

Would have preferred that it was an innate part of the dwarven mind to be good at repetitive actions with handtools.

D&D shies too far away from races having special mental capacities.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I'm of mixed opinions here. I like it in concept, but a few things stick out at me.

I'm not a fan of dropping the half-elf and the half-orc. This approach would work better for me if you could mix and match the parental races' features. But I dunno.

I do like the new human.

I'm unconvinced about the ardlings. I rather that they had just moved aasimar to the PHB.

The dragonborn breath weapon not being the same as in Fizban's is perplexing. Especially not being able to use it as in place of one of your attacks if you have multiple attacks. I like that they get darkvision now, though.

Rip dwarven subraces. le sigh Forge Wise is a bit forced as a racial (not cultural) trait. Otherwise, the new dwarf looks good.

Not sure how I feel about the elves. I positively hate wood elves losing Mask of the Wild. Why do high elves specify prestidigitation as their cantrip when you can just change it out after a long rest? I kind of prefer chooseing and wizard arcane cantrip and it not being replaceable. And misty step, really? Drow are fine. Curious why trance isn't the same as in Mordenkainen Presents.

They didn't get rid of rock gnomes. Missed opportunity.

Halflings. Looks fine, I guess.

Orcs! Welcome aboard. Powerful build should be updated to match the Giff's Hippo Build.

I like the new tiefling options.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases