D&D (2024) 2024 PHB Race discussion

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I like the tremorsense give to dwarves, but I really like the stone cunning bonus to checks. It's not powerful at all, so it could live together with the new ability.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
As seemingly the only person who liked the standard, non-variant human (basically if I rolled more than 4 odd numbers I played one) I miss that. I think 1st level feats are a really great idea for intermediate or advanced players. For brand new players making them delve straight into the whole complicated feat system just to play a human is... unfortunate.

But while I'll miss +1 to everything human option, I'll miss Half-Elves more. They've always been my favorite D&D race, and in 5e they are also mechanically perfect for my tastes.

I think the rest of my 5e characters will be Half-Elves so that I can get as much joy as I can out of them before I have to ask a DM to let me homebrew one at some future D&D table. Playing only Half-Elves won't be a major change for me, just now I'll be doing it with purpose.
Pretty sure you’ll just be able to play a Half-Elf, from the 2014 PHB.

What bothers me about it is, it’s removing the long time we’ll known examples of mixed race heritages that become their own culture and people. Which is a very important thing, IRL.

It makes me very uncomfortable, as a person from a mixed heritage and household.

I like the always on inspiration for humans.
I dislike the extra feat for humans and especially the default choice of skilled.
I think they should get something more unique.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I like the always on inspiration for humans.
I dislike the extra feat for humans and especially the default choice of skilled.
I think they should get something more unique.

I think they needed to do something for human--but the original did have a nice simple default, and then the option for the only feat at level 1 for a more advanced option--at tables with feats.

Skilled is probably as weak or weaker as a default--and the 2 feat one, while it opens up some interesting design space, feels like a pretty advanced option.

Horwath

Legend
I think they needed to do something for human--but the original did have a nice simple default, and then the option for the only feat at level 1 for a more advanced option--at tables with feats.

Skilled is probably as weak or weaker as a default--and the 2 feat one, while it opens up some interesting design space, feels like a pretty advanced option.

Humans:
Skilled; you gain two skills of your choice
Tools of the trade: gain 4 proficiencies of choice in any language, tool or weapon
Hidden talent: gain expertise in one skill or tool you are proficient.

maybe add the inspiration thing.

no feat.

I'm unconvinced about the ardlings. I rather that they had just moved aasimar to the PHB.
Indeed, Ardlings are so not my jam, and there are so many more interesting things in this playtest document (for good or ill) that my eyes just gloss over them every time I read these materials.

They really seem like what some other company would name their offbrand Aasimar to avoid infringing on WotC's IP. It all makes perfect sense, except for the part where this is D&D, and they can just use Aasimar.

They short-changed dragonborn badly (Fizban's FTW) and IMO nerfed halflings. The caster races get to cast more and I want a second pass on elves and tieflings. Humans get both a buff and a nerf - both of which are good for game balance.

But my biggest problem is just how much darkvision there is. They made it so even more people got it which was ... not something that makes the game better.

As for the new races, orcs good and aardlings are almost perfectly hitting a certain target audience that's historically underserved. But I want back the half elves for both RP and mechanical reasons

Yaarel

He Mage
Similarly, the Spelljammer astral elf is solid.

But the playtest elf is weaker than it.

The playtest high elf is actually slightly better than 2014, but it was so terrible to begin with.

Yaarel

He Mage
The "gods" flavor is overbearing. It even comes across triumphalist.

I require the topic of religion to be gentler and more inclusive.

Remove ads