D&D 5E 20th level Wizard vs the World

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Killing your employer as a mercenary seems like a pretty bad decision. Especially when said employer doesn't need to keep a fortune, since they can make the payment on the spot. And if they break concentration before the first hour after paying you, your fortune goes poof.

On the other hand, you don't think Geased creatures won't want revenge if they manage to get free? Good luck with that. People disappearing seems like a thing that gets adventurers called in. You know, the groups with trackers and spellcasters?
Given the clout of this (or almost any) level 20 in this scenario cutsy ways of creating fraudulent funds would be pretty similar to some billionaire like gates musk or Bezos engaging in credit card fraud for the lir Starbucks breakfast bill just because they understand how it would work... sure they might be completely capable of doing it but actually doing that would be an absurd risk to avoid what is effectively an expense not even rising to the level of an inconsequential triviality

Shadowedeyes

Adventurer
Hmm, maybe I didn't explain that well. I wasn't suggesting double crossing anyone you hire. Rather, that if you're using True Polymorph to make gold, as was suggested earlier in the thread, you don't actually need to have a ton of gold sitting around. Which should reduce the temptation for any mercenaries to think about betraying you.

Shadowedeyes

Adventurer
I actually just realized that True Polymorph isn't really a great gold producer anyway upon rereading the spell. It can, but the wizard is probably better working a different angle anyway.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Hmm, maybe I didn't explain that well. I wasn't suggesting double crossing anyone you hire. Rather, that if you're using True Polymorph to make gold, as was suggested earlier in the thread, you don't actually need to have a ton of gold sitting around. Which should reduce the temptation for any mercenaries to think about betraying you.
If you rule even a small chunk of the world, why would they not be paid from tax revenues or through a bank protecting your money alongside the money of other rich people who ensure the bank is secure like eberron's house kundarak. After a certain point it seems silly for the ruler to be personally involved in a lot of things like payroll.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
That's the point, It's by far inferior to Aberrant Mind Manipulating things. The Aberrant is the best for it by a large margin. The Aberrant Mind can cas Psionic 9th Geas + Heightein Spell 12x per day, an Aberrant Mind level 20 has trully reliable Minions that is charmed forever. With Impunity, because bypass Verbal and Somatic components
+17 Deception check + advantage + Sorcerer's Magical Guidance is too good.
Aberrant Mind Sorcerer's Telephatic Speech allows him to manipule creatures with impunity
Telephatic Speech "He's trying to kill you" Deception Check.

Telepathic Speech is actually very powerful for manipulating creatures from level 1
Might want to reread the geas spell my friend. It doesn't force anyone to do anything.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Ah, I still thought we were comparing an 11th level sorc to the 20th level wizard....since there is no 20th level sorc in this discussion :)
@Hohige runs theoretical sorcerers that have every ability and possible combination of spells that varies based on what their opponent has decided to counter them with. It's the Shrodingers Sorcerer variant.

Al'Kelhar

Adventurer
I like @tetrasodium's reply at #179, as I had exactly the same thought about The Watchmen (the movie, in my case) when I read through this discussion.

Basically, in the "who's gonna take on the world and win" stakes, I'd bet on the smartest guy in the world, not Superman. I reckon the smartest guy in the world is more likely to be a wizard than a sorcerer. Of course, he or she could also be a peasant.

Cheers, Al'kelhar

Iry

Hero
I actually just realized that True Polymorph isn't really a great gold producer anyway upon rereading the spell. It can, but the wizard is probably better working a different angle anyway.
I personally prefer the wizard finding some extremely loyal people, and True Polymorphing them into various ages of HD appropriate Brass Dragons. Even a Wyrmling has 60 Fly, 15 Burrow, line fire breath, and cone sleep breath. It only gets better from there.

Perfect rapid response unit, guerilla warfare unit, siege breaker, ambassador, and CC unit. Sure, the Wizard should have a large variety of creatures under his command, but Brass Dragons are incredibly flexible.

Zio_the_dark

The dark one :)
@Hohige runs theoretical sorcerers that have every ability and possible combination of spells that varies based on what their opponent has decided to counter them with. It's the Shrodingers Sorcerer variant.
Well, the Schrodinger's sorcerer variant might be smarter than the typical sorcerer and he can enter two states at the same time.
Beware he could be a candidate to dominate the world!

Remove ads