D&D 5E 20th level Wizard vs the World

Shadowedeyes

Adventurer
Depends on the situation. People sign noncompete agreements & subject themselves all sorts of invasive background checks all the time. There are plenty of ways someone could be geased knowingly & willingly without the need for forceful coercion
Possibly, but I did not get that impression from Hohige, because in that case it doesn't matter if you have Psionic Spells or not.

Hohige

Explorer
Possibly, but I did not get that impression from Hohige, because in that case it doesn't matter if you have Psionic Spells or not.
Psionic spells mean they are imperceptible and still can apply metamagic.
You can cast Psionic Dominate a creature and that creature doesnt know.
You can defeat a creature with Psionic Mind Spike, with Impunity.

Last edited:

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I didn't realize you were responding to him specifically rather than speaking generally since you didn't quote anyone specifically & geas has come up many times through the thread, for example ;) Usage of geas & similar is probably pretty on par with things like background checks & noncompetes in any world where magic is present at or above a certain level.

Shadowedeyes

Adventurer
We've discussed this. It doesn't know you casted the Mind Spike, but it knows it took damage. It doesn't know you casted Dominate, but it knows it is charmed and that it can't attack you because of that. And that you can order it around.

Shadowedeyes

Adventurer
I didn't realize you were responding to him specifically rather than speaking generally since you didn't quote anyone specifically & geas has come up many times through the thread, for example ;) Usage of geas & similar is probably pretty on par with things like background checks & noncompetes in any world where magic is present at or above a certain level.
Maybe. I think it would be a rare individual who would willingly go for the indefinite 9th lvl version though. Also, the fact that it is a 5th lvl spell probably makes them less common than a background check.

Hohige

Explorer
We've discussed this. It doesn't know you casted the Mind Spike, but it knows it took damage. It doesn't know you casted Dominate, but it knows it is charmed and that it can't attack you because of that.
No, they dont know that is charmed.
That caster is incredible for them. That is all It knows. Its like Siren Song.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Maybe. I think it would be a rare individual who would willingly go for the indefinite 9th lvl version though. Also, the fact that it is a 5th lvl spell probably makes them less common than a background check.
Rare like people willing to maintain all this for security clearance? Those people tend to be in positions of military/state intelligence & positions of power but tons of government positions require an oath now & for centuries before taking office/command/etc. The level 20 doesn't even need to be the one doing the geas & can have subordinates that preform it on routine schedules for a huge number of people each month who themselves know & accept the routine geas backed oath or cursed item ensuring it long term. Such a situation even minimizes risk by having the ability to include each new renewal beginning with the target admitting any problems that may have occurred that a properly functioning geas should have stopped

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Killing your employer as a mercenary seems like a pretty bad decision. Especially when said employer doesn't need to keep a fortune, since they can make the payment on the spot. And if they break concentration before the first hour after paying you, your fortune goes poof.
Not paying the mercenaries, or providing them a 'fools gold' payment, is likewise a bad decision. Mercenary commanders communicate with each other. "Wiz20/his underlings break contracts" will dry up the supply of mercenaries.

For purposes of this thread, the stiffed mercenary company might decide to join the opposition or set up its own retaliatory action(s). Being "the guys who slew Wiz20 at the height of his power - because he didn't pay up" is one heck of a 'don't double-cross us' statement to future would-be employers up to shenanigans.

Remove ads