• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 20th level Wizard vs the World

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
True Polymorph is overestimate.

True Polymorph
"If the spell becomes permanent, you no longer control the creature. It might remain friendly to you, depending on how you have treated it."

The Wizard lose the control and It might remain friendly to you.

Are they friendly to you when you want to turn them into Minions, Controlling them?
Also, they are friendly(or not) to you, not your allies.
And above all, It has no obligation to follow the Wizard's orders.
You have a big problem here.
Wanting to turn creatures into minions is very dangerous. I bet this wizard dies in a week.

Do you want reliable minions?
Finger of Death is the best pick
and again, he's inferior to any sorcerer, with Twinned Finger of Death. Level 20 Sorcerer can create 8 permanent controlled Zombies, while Wizard 4.
Turn them all into you with Distant Seeming Spell and cast suble/psionic spells for Improved Mirror Image without know who is the caster.
Who knew, the sorcerer is the best Necromancer.
Do it at level 14.

View attachment 130817
Who said that the minions have to be friendly to you? If you get dumb enough minions, they're not going to be able to find a way out of your dungeon. My point still stands. You're going to have CR 9 or lower minions filling your dungeon, just due to the fact that they have no way out.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
You know a lot of these posts assume a wizard dominating the world through power and such.

Why couldn't a 20th level wizard simply be a good leader, efficient, kind, and supported because he/she creates a much better world? :)
The question of the thread is "Can the wizard do this", not "is this the best/most likely option for a 20th level wizard?"

Who cares if the wizard could be a good, efficient, kind, and supported leader? That's not going to stop the occasional wizard from deciding that they want world domination. If they dominate enough people, maybe they could even become a god.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
The question of the thread is "Can the wizard do this", not "is this the best/most likely option for a 20th level wizard?"
I never said anything about best/most likely option, I just noted that the vast majority of posts had the wizard ruling the world using evil or wicked means. So, I said, "Hey, folks, there are ways to do this without being evil, etc."

I completely disagree, but that is your choice so--whatever. shrug

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic

Who cares if the wizard could be a good, efficient, kind, and supported leader? That's not going to stop the occasional wizard from deciding that they want world domination. If they dominate enough people, maybe they could even become a god.

The premise is just "take over the world", doing that without excessive amounts of evil slaughter & violence doesn't mean you don't take over. If the king answers to the wizard & asks questions like "will wizardBob approve of this action" first & foremost when acting as your puppet king that wizard has all the benefits of taking over without the day to day hasslesof keeping it running or the drawbacks of ruling over the ashes. Doing it peacefully in a way that keeps a stable civilization makes you less likely to face uprisings & such too.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
@tetrasodium and @6ENow!

It's pretty clear that this thread is supposed to use maniacal tactics to conquer the world. There's not many "nice dictators" out there, anyways.
I discussed the use of geas, cursed items, & magically binding contracts to ensure ethical/noncorrupt governance. Magical nervestapling done to volunteers who are somehow compensated are still nervestapled. Some of the most utopia societies depicted in fiction have dark sides that make the most crapack worlds look positively pleasant.

edit: There's a difference between doing what needs doing and kick the dog

Last edited:

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
@tetrasodium and @6ENow!

It's pretty clear that this thread is supposed to use maniacal tactics to conquer the world. There's not many "nice dictators" out there, anyways.
Your assumption and choice--again, just pointing out there are other ways. What happens in a fantasy world with magic, gods, etc. doesn't have to mirror what happens in real life.

And nothing in the OP says the use of maniacal tactics is clear... again, your assumption.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Your assumption and choice--again, just pointing out there are other ways. What happens in a fantasy world with magic, gods, etc. doesn't have to mirror what happens in real life.

And nothing in the OP says the use of maniacal tactics is clear... again, your assumption.
. . . Did you not read the quote I posted? "Pinky and the Brain"? "Scheming Hats?" That makes it pretty clear that the thread is based on maniacal/typically evil behavior.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
. . . Did you not read the quote I posted? "Pinky and the Brain"? "Scheming Hats?" That makes it pretty clear that the thread is based on maniacal/typically evil behavior.
Even in a hellish place like darksun, the population is generally forbidden from literacy because that leads to learning arcane magic & defiling magic that destroys the world itself but the SK ruled cities have things like water food plus an oppressive military that protects the people there from raiders& each other resulting in something much better than the freedom to die of thirst/hunger, eaten by halfling, or worse outside the walls. Not only that but the K themselves are keeping the real big bad sealed away. you don't need to kick the dog to be any of those things you note

Remove ads