D&D 5E 20th level Wizard vs the World

tetrasodium

Hero
Supporter
Perhaps there is a corner case argument that everyone with a great deal of personal power who wants control over the world and will leverage their power to get it is criminally insane... but human history is FULL of this stuff.

As for Faerun - as an ex-archaeologist and student of anthropology and ancient history, I can tell you that it makes little sense as a world and the conveyor belt of world-ending problems it suffers without anything really changing underlines this - spellplague aside (which was undone because the default status quo has too much weight). It is a kitchen sink hodgepotch, and I don't think it every claimed to be anything else. It was developed as a place to tell children's stories at first, and it shows.

Greyhawk makes much more sense, as does Dark Sun, Krynn and Eberron etc. They are the products of worldbuilders, not 'I need somewhere, anywhere to host adventures' storytellers...

Another point about the conveyor belt of disasters... anywhere prone to tornado probles have fairly standard tornado shelters. Florida backyards are dotted with little pointless nuclear fallout shelters dating back to the cuban missile crisis & if korean dramas on netflix are any indication they aren't that out of place there either. Taking that a step further, florida has the miami code a bunch of infrastructure dedicated to shelters & supplies plus a ton of laws that are written to ensure avoidable problems after a big storm don't happen again.. Having dated people who were kids in homestead after andrew(and seen it myself), lived through wilma, worked in the building with the post office across the street from the anthrax building, & so on... FR doesn't even pretend to learn anything from those disasters so often held up as defense for the cultural stasis because it doesn't make the walled cities of Athas with its single apocalyptic troubles & limitations look like some kind of wishy washy half assed red light district of extreme permissiveness.

The whole "I don't need somewhere, anywhere is ok" thing works to a degree, but somewhere along the line FR & planescape became something very specific loaded with very specific& often conflicting plot armor treated as a sacrosanct. 5e is especially bad at elevating FR & planescape specific lore to the point of limiting design & getting reinforced with mechanics. Aside from the eberron stuff nearly every official book dedicated to FR with tasha's going one further by reprinting artificer but with all the eberron stuff replaced by FR & planescape stuff to finally abandon any shed of pretense for them being the "kitchen sink setting" they get held up as while pushing it into dominating basically every aspect of 5e.

I still wonder, even if the wizard can win any duel, how he will find time to manage 500 millions of people and a thousand kingdoms. This is a rough estimate from earth population in 1400. Even with scrying and teleportation it will take a complete hierarchy of sub leaders to manage and control these kingdoms. In term of DnD fantasy, rebels and rebellions should continuously spread out.

Iry

Hero
I still wonder, even if the wizard can win any duel, how he will find time to manage 500 millions of people and a thousand kingdoms. This is a rough estimate from earth population in 1400. Even with scrying and teleportation it will take a complete hierarchy of sub leaders to manage and control these kingdoms. In term of DnD fantasy, rebels and rebellions should continuously spread out.
Hypnos Magen can cast Suggestion at will, Solars can use their 30 CHA to make impassioned speeches, etc. I'm not suggesting a brainwashed world, because I'm sure the Solars wouldn't support such a plan in the first place. But it does make for an amazing PR campaign that continues to run worldwide without taking up too much of your time.

Hypnos Magen can cast Suggestion at will, Solars can use their 30 CHA to make impassioned speeches, etc. I'm not suggesting a brainwashed world, because I'm sure the Solars wouldn't support such a plan in the first place. But it does make for an amazing PR campaign that continues to run worldwide without taking up too much of your time.
Then the fun begin. This leader need help, and even if the Mage has a perfect control over the Solars and Magens, a wise Dm might suggest to its players that there may be a way to break this control and take down the mage. Indeed it makes amazing prelude to a campaign.

Eltab

Is this a moon, or is it a space station?
Regularly visit China, the Incas, Ottoman Turkey, the Hapsburgs (Austria plus), the Pope.
Rotate visits to Russia, somebody in India, Aztecs, France, south Africa, Java.
The rest of the world can be influenced from those places, or does not have enough surplus wealth / resources to fret over.

Rule with a light hand, you need not deal with rebellions. Be a 'neutral arbiter' (in spirit as well as name) and everybody will think you are OK if not be happy.

Starfox

Adventurer
To me, this is like asking why people who build nuclear weapons don't rule the world. Wizards are just too busy doing magic. With all of the spell work they are supposed to do, they are one of the classes with theleast downtime. What I see as more likely is that a wizard would form a partnership with another powerful character and help them in critical junctures.

Advertisement2

Advertisement4