• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 20th level Wizard vs the World

Hohige

Explorer
For you to be aware, an Aberrant Mind is already a terror, I'm having fun level 6, Evil Party.
18 Cha.
  • feat actor
  • feat Skill expert (deception).

Telephatic Speech combined with +10 deception check + magical guidance is always great and free, totally free. Bealive me, It's insanely good.

Psionic + Heightein Spell Suggestion and telepathic speech to give the command without anyone listening.

I killed several NPCs with Psionic Mind Spike in a friendly conversation.
Aberrant Mind is S ++ tier

Shadowedeyes

Adventurer
You forgot that Aberrant Mind Sorcerer regain sorcery points each short range and casts for Sorcery Points and can cast countless more powerful spells than the Wizard. And you can even use Twin Simulacrum for even more power.
Psionic 9th Geas + Heightein Spell is effectively stronger. They are effectively minions. Dispelling this is useless and rare, because the spellcasting isn't perceptible, It is not possible to know who cast the Psionic Geas, not even the victim knows it has been charned.
and the dominated creatures are taken to their fortress forever. Its with Impunity. Psionic 9th Dominate Person + Heightein Spell can control a creature for 8 hour an literally order them anything.
Telepathic Speech is insanely good on practices for manipulative actions.
The Sorcerer protection are Charmed Creatures and his Undead Army that is by far bigger than the Wizard.
The aberrant mind is the best summoner, extended level 9th Summon Aberration 12x day. Well, Its really good.

I didn't mention casting with sorcery points, but again, the Geas can be broken with a 3rd lvl spell. A 5th lvl character can unravel your "perfect" minions. And it is possible to figure out who is casting the Geas by a little deductive reasoning. You know people are getting Geased. After breaking the Geas you ask them when they started having the compulsions. After a few testimonials you find the common factor.

Dominate Monster is one minion. Not really a big deal. Summon Aberration is one minion, and you can't have it up while Dominate Monster is active. The Undead army is made up of 1/4 CR creatures. True Polymorph stuff into gold and buy a better army, one that won't make everyone who lost family/friends/subjects to your murder spree turn against you. Telepathic Speech is nifty, but hardly a gamebreaker.

The sorcerer is a cool class, but you're talking about a few tricks against a character who can do everything I said in the last post. Stuff that you have not addressed at all.

Shadowedeyes

Adventurer
Ah, I still thought we were comparing an 11th level sorc to the 20th level wizard....since there is no 20th level sorc in this discussion :)

To be fair, Hohige has stated that a 20th lvl Sorcerer would do it better at some points, although at other points it is an 11th lvl Sorcerer stopping the wizard, so yah, I guess it is easy to mix up.

Hohige

Explorer
I didn't mention casting with sorcery points, but again, the Geas can be broken with a 3rd lvl spell. A 5th lvl character can unravel your "perfect" minions. And it is possible to figure out who is casting the Geas by a little deductive reasoning. You know people are getting Geased. After breaking the Geas you ask them when they started having the compulsions. After a few testimonials you find the common factor.

Dominate Monster is one minion. Not really a big deal. Summon Aberration is one minion, and you can't have it up while Dominate Monster is active. The Undead army is made up of 1/4 CR creatures. True Polymorph stuff into gold and buy a better army, one that won't make everyone who lost family/friends/subjects to your murder spree turn against you. Telepathic Speech is nifty, but hardly a gamebreaker.

The sorcerer is a cool class, but you're talking about a few tricks against a character who can do everything I said in the last post. Stuff that you have not addressed at all.
A Geased creature will never come back, nor will any creature turned into a zombie. The Aberrant can dominate powerful creatures, not only 5th characters.
They will be dominated by Aberrant Mind, forever and will not have contact with the old "friends"

Have lots of money and buy the army, it will be the Wizard's death. to steal their fortune, they are mercenaries and not minions and even less, reliable.
. Good luck.

Last edited:

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
For you to be aware, an Aberrant Mind is already a terror, I'm having fun level 6, Evil Party.
18 Cha.
  • feat actor
  • feat Skill expert (deception).

Telephatic Speech combined with +10 deception check + magical guidance is always great and free, totally free. Bealive me, It's insanely good.

Psionic + Heightein Spell Suggestion and telepathic speech to give the command without anyone listening.

I killed several NPCs with Psionic Mind Spike in a friendly conversation.
Aberrant Mind is S ++ tier
You need to sit down with a Day Planner and figure out how fast your Sorcerer is burning through spell slots, sorcery points, and when he needs to take Short / Long Rests. I think you are overstating the character's offensive capacity and ignoring the logistics. If I am right, the Wiz20 endures everything you throw at him until you 'run out of gas' - and then unleashes his counter-attack.
And, the L10s who understand discretion want to thank you for drawing the Wiz20's complete undivided attention while they quietly further their plans to foil him, and coordinate their efforts behind his back.

Shadowedeyes

Adventurer
Killing your employer as a mercenary seems like a pretty bad decision. Especially when said employer doesn't need to keep a fortune, since they can make the payment on the spot. And if they break concentration before the first hour after paying you, your fortune goes poof.

On the other hand, you don't think Geased creatures won't want revenge if they manage to get free? Good luck with that. People disappearing seems like a thing that gets adventurers called in. You know, the groups with trackers and spellcasters?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Killing your employer as a mercenary seems like a pretty bad decision. Especially when said employer doesn't need to keep a fortune, since they can make the payment on the spot. And if they break concentration before the first hour after paying you, your fortune goes poof.

On the other hand, you don't think Geased creatures won't want revenge if they manage to get free? Good luck with that. People disappearing seems like a thing that gets adventurers called in. You know, the groups with trackers and spellcasters?
Depends on the situation. People sign noncompete agreements & subject themselves all sorts of invasive background checks all the time. There are plenty of ways someone could be geased knowingly & willingly without the need for forceful coercion

Remove ads