D&D 5E 20th level Wizard vs the World

Hohige

Explorer
Glibness (via Wish), 20 Charisma and Expertise in Persuasion allows you at least a 32 (sometimes up to 37) Persuasion Roll. A roll of 30 allows you to do the 'Nearly Impossible'. So you can reliably do the nearly impossible persuasive things.

If you toss on Charisma's above 20, Guidance, Eagle's Splendor (from a hireling), wearing Glamerweave, you can raise that result into the 40s fairly reliably. That should allow you to do pretty much anything that is even remotely possible with persuasion, and convincing someone to follow you should fit into that description.
Casting a visible spell can be an offensive action ir obvious manipulativa action.
Cha based.
Use subtle spell for avoid spellcasting detection.
Go Sorcerer instead

I would go so far as to say I don’t believe a 3e caster could take over a world... and hold it, not in any believable way or for more than a relatively short period of time.
Most of the really over the top exploits of character op in 3E were extremely questionable in the forms of their rules interpretation.

Planar binding to create an army of outsiders? - requires a questionable interpretation of the rules for planar binding.
Summoning endless demons and killing them in order to raise them as undead demons? Can you even raise a demon as an intelligent undead?
Using Shadowcraft mage to create illusions that are 160% real? What does that even mean?
Even if any of the above were RAW, it just shows how meaningless RAW is - they clearly weren't how the rules were meant to work and any sensible DM would have put a brake on them.

Not that 3E wizards weren't insanely powerful - but they weren't quite as far ahead of 5E wizards as people may think or the internet would have you believe.

Oofta

Legend
Most of the really over the top exploits of character op in 3E were extremely questionable in the forms of their rules interpretation.

Planar binding to create an army of outsiders? - requires a questionable interpretation of the rules for planar binding.
Summoning endless demons and killing them in order to raise them as undead demons? Can you even raise a demon as an intelligent undead?
Using Shadowcraft mage to create illusions that are 160% real? What does that even mean?
Even if any of the above were RAW, it just shows how meaningless RAW is - they clearly weren't how the rules were meant to work and any sensible DM would have put a brake on them.

Not that 3E wizards weren't insanely powerful - but they weren't quite as far ahead of 5E wizards as people may think or the internet would have you believe.
Phht. Next you'll be telling me that Pun-Pun was just a stupid exploit that no DM would actually allow. :p

UnknownDyson

Explorer
Eh. Poe-tae-toe poe-tah-toe. Or french fries.

Point is, it wouldn't be a "win" for the wizard. If they could even pull in enough demons to open a plane to hell. The more demons you pull in, the more likely it is that you're going to slip up and they'll be able to follow the letter of the instructions given while eating the wizard's soul.

I mean, would someone with a "pet" demon or 10 have a leg up as long as the demons were having fun? Sure. There's just no "that was easy" button to push. I was also kind of assuming survival was part of the point. :)

It really isn't, that's like saying cats and dogs are the same species.

If your goal was to destroy the world it would be a win. Control is the least of your worries using this strategy, it would be like unleashing the Flood from Halo on a populated planet, or bringing the Tyranids from 40k to your home planet because you hate everyone.

I agree with you that if survival is your goal, this isn't the strategy to use.

Oofta

Legend
It really isn't, that's like saying cats and dogs are the same species.
Dude, I understand the difference between demons and devils. But they don't say "the demon's in the details" or "if you make a deal with a demon". I was using the vernacular, not the correct taxonomic nomenclature.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
I always thought flooding the world with Decanters of Endless Water (in the 3e era, 5e doesn't work the same) would be a very hard scheme to detect. The timescale is MASSIVE though, so unless you had some outrageous number of decanters the various beings will have discovered spaceflight by the time it would start to be an issue.

Redwizard007

Adventurer
In 3.5 wizards were gods. 5e is NOT 3.5. There are so many checks and balances on wizards that I doubt your lvl 20 dictator lasts a month, even with no foes within half his level (and that is a ridiculous premise to begin with.)

A strike team of rogues takes him out while he sleeps. A fighter starts his turn within 30'. A monk exists. Any of these cause significant problems for our not-lich. Stat this bugger out and I'll run you and some friends through an adventure to kill him. Killing high level spellcasters is a normal adventure at most tables.

MarkB

Legend
The main way I could see a high level wizard taking on the world is using high level spells as money making devices and then buying power, either in the form of political influence or mercenary forces.

Remove ads