• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

24 - 4e style

The Digger

First Post
Garrick's footsteps are almost silent as the party reach the edge of the wood.

"Where are the guards, Jimmi? I'm sure there must be some. Have you seen any?" He looks around with a keen eye and ear.
[sblock=Perception]
Perception 14: Isn't there an elf to help out here with a plus 1 (in a begging sort of voice) ?Roll Lookup[/sblock]
[sblock=OOC]Just my luck. It's 3.30am and I need my bed and the fight's about to start. Also I'm probably not available for about the next 9 or 10 hours!

Garrick will see what everyone else suggests but he would be willing to risk trying to stealth the forest although probably near the path.

Feel free to NPC him if neccessary. I attach the relevant stats,

Night all - and good luck[/sblock]
[sblock=Garrick;]
HP: 52 (Bloodied 26; Surges 6 Value 13
AC 20 (26 v OA) Ref 21 Will 19 For 16
AC 22/28 vs 1st attack in encounter (Darkleaf Armour)

Opportunity Attack bonus and damage (Lifestealer Dagger): +6 : 1d4 +1

Initiative: +11
Action points: 1
Passive Perception 19
Passive Insight 14
Save vs Fear: +5[/sblock]

Thanee

First Post
Leyra

“Anyone feeling reasonably fit in moving undetected to get a better view on what's awaiting us? I'm afraid, I'm not the best-suited for that task.”

OOC: Note to self for the higher levels... learn Stealth skill. :D
@The Digger: Yes, Leyra is an elf and grants +1 to Perception in the vincinity. She also has a huge Perception bonus herself.

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
"I can sneak through the forest to get a better view.

If things go south, I can get back into deep cover quickly."

After waiting a moment to see if anyone is coming with him, Barrion ducks into the woods at the closest point and starts heading across the forest, stopping at the far edge to see what he can see.

[sblock=OOC]Stealth Check (1d20+9=16) Move from A8 to H14 while attempting stealth.

Initiative +4

Hit Points 56/56
Temporary HP 0
Healing Surges 8/8

Action Points 1
Milestones 0

Armor Class 20
Fortitude 16
Reflex 18
Will 20

OA :bmelee: +2 Pact Sword +11, 1d8+5

Passive Perception 12
Passive Insight 12[/sblock]

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Garrick indicated that he was going for stealth (+12) so I'll roll him too. Mirage is also quite good (+10) so I'll go ahead and assume he was following.

We'll have the three stealthy characters standing at the southern edge of the wood, near the access road while the three armored one while be right next to the entrance of the ranch, directly North of the access, about six square away.

Garrick : Stealth (1d20+12=16)

Mirage : Stealth (1d20+10=15)

You guys stick together, eh?
[/sblock]

The trio of sneaky agents sank into the woods and carefully edged their way toward the ranch. Soon they were hearing relaxing chatters. Suddenly they heard a sinister growl. Having reached the southern part of the patch of forest, they could see the source : A huge wolf.

-''A a pet dire wolf to guard the ranch? That's...'' the agents heard the sound of Shayla flipping the pages of her report through their crystal link. ''...new.''

There were a handful of lackey gaurding the farm or going about their business nearby. 50 feet away, the agents could see one of the dwarven brothers talking animatedly to a rough and dangerous looking Tiefling. Nobody but the wolf had seemingly notice the SCU agents but it was about to change. No time to play this pretty...

[sblock=ooc]Stealth was a semi-failure (or success, depending how you look at it!). The dire-wolf perception was 19 and nobody beat it so he knows where you are. On the other hand, the perception of the nearby human guards was 14 and you all beat that so they are still unaware of anything wrong though their attention is perking up as the wolf growls.

Therefore there is going to be a surprise round in which only Mirage, Garrick, Barrion and the wolf will act.

Updating of the map is upcoming when
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Garrick indicated that he was away for a shortwhile and since he is the only one to act before the wolf, I took the liberty of getting him to do the obvious; sneak attack the wolf while he can![/sblock]

Without hesistation, Garrick threw his shuriken at the wolf while it was still trying to catch his scent. He hits it right between the eyes and the beast hols in pain before charging blindly.

+12 +2 combat advantage, Sly Flourish (1d20+14=29, 3d6+10=23)

The pain distracts the beast too much and it misses the halfling throat.

Bite (1d20+10=17, 1d8+4=8)

[sblock=ooc]I noted that you forgot to add your +3 to hit for your level, Garrick. You had only noted +9 to hit.

Now, what is the result of the Wolf's mad charge? I'll tell you in a few hours when I have access to the stats... Meanwhile, he still moved right against Garrick so Barrion and Mirage can act (just a standard action).

Nathan, Leyra and Dagran can also all post their actions for round 1. It may be a little confusing to some if one of these three post before Mirage or Barrion acted in teh surprise round, but in practice it changes nothing since they'll all act before the Badguys can next move anyway.

I'll post the monsters stats soon, too.[/sblock]

Updated Map

Last edited:

Erekose13

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]Yup Mirage was intending to get closer with the other two. [/sblock]

Mirage disappears silently into the forest behind Garrick and Barrion. He intends to try and move around the right side of the farm.

Init 11
[sblock=statblock]Initiative +7

Hit Points 49/49
Temporary HP 0
Healing Surges 8/8

Action Points 1
Milestones 0

Armor Class 19
Fortitude 16
Reflex 19
Will 19

OA :bmelee: Dagger +5, 1d4-1

Passive Perception 14
Passive Insight 19

Character Sheet

[sblock=Power Tracker]General:
Surges 8/8
Second Wind
Action Point

Encounter:
Infernal Wrath
Grasping Shadows
Maze of Mirrors

Daily:
Phantom Chasm*/Sleep
Phantasmal Terrain*/Featherfall
Phantasmal Assailant*/Fireball
Invisibility/Disguise Self*

Item:
Orb of Imposition
Orb of Impenetrable Escape/Phantom Soldier[/sblock][/sblock]

EDIT: Okay its all done ahead for me. Will post my round in a sec.

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
Realising the wolf had detected their presence and that it would soon draw the attention of its masters down upon them, Barrion mutters a short curse under his breath.

"Queen's damnation!"

That curse, echoing through the feywild, is heard by Barrion's fey masters, turning their attentions upon the wolf.

[sblock=ooc]Minor action to curse the wolf. Since that isn't an attack, do I stay hidden to the other bad guys? Without having to make a new check?

I'm still a little fuzzy on how this whole new Stealth thing works.

Initiative +4

Hit Points 56/56
Temporary HP 0
Healing Surges 8/8

Action Points 1
Milestones 0

Armor Class 20
Fortitude 16
Reflex 18
Will 20

OA :bmelee: +2 Pact Sword +11, 1d8+5

Passive Perception 12
Passive Insight 12
[/sblock]

Thanee

First Post
Leyra

Hearing the wolf, Leyra knows that it is time to break out of her hiding place. She heads down the way and as her eyes catch sight of the huge animal, she fires a ray of light into its direction.

OOC: Move to T13, Lance of Faith on Dire Wolf.

[SBLOCK=Roll]14 vs. Reflex, Damage 10
If a hit, Garrick gains a +2 power bonus on his next attack roll against the wolf (I suppose Leyra can see him).[/SBLOCK]

Erekose13

Explorer
ooc: Unless Mal is changing the Dire Wolf's stats, Leyra's attack misses (AC 19,fort 18, refl 17, will 16).

From his hidden position Mirage's hand moves over his orb. He can feel the mists of power swirling darkly within the globe. He closes his eyes for a moment and imagines a spear thrust up from the ground into the wolf's belly. Opening his eyes he chants quickly and quietly, "Illustrae magica.". The spectre of a grisly barbed spear emerges from the ground beneath the wolf and impales the great beast before dissipating.

[sblock=ooc]illusory ambush (1d20 10=16 vs will, 1d6 5=10) 10 damage and a -2 attack penalty until the end of my next turn. 34/67 hps remain. not bloodied.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads