D&D General 25 years

Larnievc

Hero
I just played D&D with friends who I have not played with in 25 years. It was over the inter webs, it was only for two hours, we had but one encounter and there was lots of fannying around with speakers but it was the best time I’ve had in ages!

I just wanted to share something positive (there was wine, I’m in my cups and I’m in that post game high).

We play again next week.

Larnievc

Hero
I was the DM and got a lot wrong, apparently dash is not a charge action, back stab isn't double damage and first level is just as deadly as it always was. I've played a tiny bit ( two games) of 5th ed with other people when it first came out but playing with the guys I grew up with was a real treat.

In the one combat encounter we had the thief caulk two goblins, as did the druid but the fighter dispatched the boss (was modelled off the last PC one of the guys playing every played with me- 25 years ago) after taking his second wind (2 hp left).

If anyone cares we were playing an adapted adventure from Dungeon mag 130 (Within the Circle). I'm going to use this to get into Tomb of Annihilation because it has those snake fellas in (Yaun ti).

Any one else play with short rest as 10 mins, long rest is one hour, sleep is 1/2 HD and reduced spell recovery and sleep in a good bed is full HD recovery and all spell level recovery (not that it matter much to these guys as they are 1st level)?

Uller

Adventurer
One of my high school buddies (of 28 years ago) is in my group. We use Roll20 so he can play. We play about 2 hours ever week or so.

I use 10 min short rests but they only get 2 per day (so short rest powers get at most 3 uses per day) and long rests are just 1/2 hit die and class feature recovery. Fully HP recovery requires 24 hours of rest in a town or other safe comfortable place.

Being a DM is hard work, and sometimes I do find that the various editions’ rules bleed over. Flubbing a rule now and then happens to all of us. What I like to do is to come clean before the next session starts and let the group know. I find that helps establish trust. And it also can be a learning experience for everyone.

In any case, it sounds like you had a fun time! Getting people back into gaming after such a long time is quite awesome.

I was the DM and got a lot wrong, apparently dash is not a charge action, back stab isn't double damage and first level is just as deadly as it always was. I've played a tiny bit ( two games) of 5th ed with other people when it first came out but playing with the guys I grew up with was a real treat.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Welcome back!

I got back into TTRPG with 5e after not having played since I think 1990, maybe 1991.

Its been great. Getting back together with old friends (having moved back to near my hometown), making new friends, having another activity to enjoy with my kids--gaming is better now than it was when I was in middle and high school. Except that I don't have nearly the amount of free time as I would like.

Larnievc

Hero
Thanks for the positivity!

I was planning on running old Dungeon mag adventures converted up to 5th ed but the hard back modules seem to be an entire campaign in a jar: are any of them any good?

When we played 2nd ed inthe before times I had a kids encyclopaedic knowledge of the game and made stuff up on the fly, likely as not. I can’t really do that yet with 5th ed.

Is there an acknowledged top 5th ed module? Tyranny of Dragons sounds cool but I’m drawn toward Princes of the Apocalypse for some old school dungeon crawling.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the positivity!

I was planning on running old Dungeon mag adventures converted up to 5th ed but the hard back modules seem to be an entire campaign in a jar: are any of them any good?

When we played 2nd ed inthe before times I had a kids encyclopaedic knowledge of the game and made stuff up on the fly, likely as not. I can’t really do that yet with 5th ed.

Is there an acknowledged top 5th ed module? Tyranny of Dragons sounds cool but I’m drawn toward Princes of the Apocalypse for some old school dungeon crawling.

Any suggestions?

If you want something old school, I'd go with Tomb of Annihilation. Going through a massive, deadly jungle filled with undead, dinosaurs, undead dinosaurs, and a multitude of other dangerous animals and plants, to find a ruined lost city and the multi-level death-trap dungeon that lies below it, in order to stop a world-wide curse that is causing thousands to waste away to death.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases