D&D General 25 years

Larnievc

Hero
So we played our 4th session and one interesting thing turned up.

Moon circle Druid wild shape needs to be long rest only if you use the heroic rest and recovery rules.

G

Guest 6801328

I did something similar to the 5e ("Next") Playtest. A guy I played D&D with back in middle school in the very early 80's set up a game over Roll20. It was awesome. It's kind of what got me back into RPGs.

Larnievc

Hero
Is roll20 any good? I’ve been hearing about it but worry it might cause us to focus too much on the screen, rather than in our imagination?

HawaiiSteveO

Blistering Barnacles!
Thanks for the positivity!

I was planning on running old Dungeon mag adventures converted up to 5th ed but the hard back modules seem to be an entire campaign in a jar: are any of them any good?

When we played 2nd ed inthe before times I had a kids encyclopaedic knowledge of the game and made stuff up on the fly, likely as not. I can’t really do that yet with 5th ed.

Is there an acknowledged top 5th ed module? Tyranny of Dragons sounds cool but I’m drawn toward Princes of the Apocalypse for some old school dungeon crawling.

Any suggestions?

Get Lost Mine of Phandelver, it's in the starter set for around $20 you get set of dice and great adventure that will give you tons of play for multiple sessions, plus a nice box to store gaming stuff. Adventure is $15 on D&D Beyond if you want to go that direction.

I'd also suggest some free / cheap adventures on dmsguild there are tons! I did a few M.T. Black ones, tons of choices look for compilations where you get multiple adventures in one bundle for reduced price.

I'd suggest you don't get a hardcover adventure book as they are a lot of work to prep and run! If your group gels and you keep playing by all means, but IMO start small.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I like it. I ended up not using Roll20 or Fantasy Grounds because I didn't want the extra work of setting up all the maps. But now that you can buy published adventures in both, I would seriuosly consider it for my next game using published material. Obviously, it is great for on-line play, but I've seen DMs use flat screen on a table to display battlemaps managed in Fantasy Grounds or Roll20, putting minis on the screen. I works great and I'll likely get such a set up for my next campaign.

Larnievc

Hero
So we’ve been playing weekly and are currently just moving through OOTA PCs are 5th level. One guy still can’t get his head round 5th and maybe enjoys booze more than is conducive (and has retired two characters). We’ve had to draw up some ‘rules of the table’ as the PCs are my friends from various stages of my life and don’t know each other very well- something that simply did not enter my head.

But of a learning curve for me.

But that aside this is the longest campaign I’ve played since I was at school- loving it.

Last edited:

Larnievc

Hero
So we have just got to the halfway point of Rage of Demons!

Pretty much the longest campaign I’ve DM’d.

So far no deaths but one petrification (cured), one evil character leaving the party and two characters decidind to live in Blindingstone.

Several arguments and making ups of players (we are all old friends so it comes with the territory I think) but we are still going strong.

Party is 8th level and deciding how to thart the demon menance! 👍

Larnievc

Hero
So we’ve been playing for over a year now. We’re on the second part of OOTA but we are doing Death in Thay rather than going to Mantol Derith(sp).

One fatality, two character retires only two original characters. We missed a few weeks here and there, survived a few tantrums and killed a dragon.

Horray for D&D bringing old friends together again!

Uller

Adventurer
Glad your game is still going. Mine too. Current campaign has been running for about 15 months off and on but lately it's been 2 hours every Wednesday evening. The group includes my 21 yo son, my 22 yo nephew (his dad introduced me to D&D round about 1980), a high school buddy, a former coworker and a current coworker.

Larnievc

Hero
Glad your game is still going. Mine too. Current campaign has been running for about 15 months off and on but lately it's been 2 hours every Wednesday evening. The group includes my 21 yo son, my 22 yo nephew (his dad introduced me to D&D round about 1980), a high school buddy, a former coworker and a current coworker.
I can’t wait till my boy is old enough to play (he’s four so a long time yet). I’ve been collecting Fighting Fantasy game books to read to him when he’s old enough 👍

My group is two friends from school and two from uni (one being and ex, lol).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases