D&D General $299 D&D Anniversary Sapphire Dice

This just dropped into my inbox. $299.99, limited run, available directly from WotC.

This just dropped into my inbox. $299.99, limited run, available directly from WotC.

0CA21444-6CC9-4F4A-9D4B-CAD53EC99F53.png

Celebrate Forty-Five Years of Dungeons & Dragons and Five Years of D&D Fifth Edition with theD&D Sapphire Anniversary Dice Set

Only 1,974 sets - featuring a gnome-grown* sapphire gem - will be available to the public on November 21!

RENTON, WA – Nov. 11, 2019 – It’s been five years since Dungeons & Dragons fifth edition launched, and the explosion of D&D’s popularity since then has been a wonder to behold! Now fans can celebrate D&D through the D&D Sapphire Anniversary Dice Set, available directly from Wizards of the Coast starting at 11a.m. (PT) on November 21, 2019. The set commemorates both 5 years of 5e AND forty-five years since D&D’s first publication in 1974.

“When the D&D team realized the sapphire is the traditional anniversary stone for both five years and forty-five years, and that adding a laboratory-created sapphire to a twenty-sided die wouldn’t jeopardize the integrity of a roll, we couldn’t pass up the chance to make something really cool to celebrate the milestones” said Nathan Stewart, VP of the D&D Franchise at Wizards of the Coast. “The team put together a fun product for our fans that includes art and newly updated stats for sapphire dragons, making these classic dragons ready for play in your next D&D session.”

The D&D Sapphire Anniversary Dice Set includes eleven custom-designed aluminum dice from Level Up Dice. Embedded in one of the d20s is a sapphire lovingly grown** by a rock gnome artificer in a charmingly-cluttered workshop. Additionally, each set includes a high-quality dice box and a matching dice tray displaying the ampersand, fifth edition D&D stats and details introducing the sapphire dragon, commemorative stickers, and a sequentially numbered collector’s card confirming the set’s authenticity. Oh, and every die, except that extra-special d20 has an engraved ampersand on the highest number - boosting your D&D cred whenever you roll max damage with that trusty battleaxe!

Only 1,974 D&D Sapphire Anniversary Dice Setswill be available to the public, so mark November 21st at 11am Pacific Time on your calendar so you don’t miss out! These dice sets will only be available directly from Wizards of the Coast at a price of $299.99 (USD). For more product information, including more images of these beautiful dice, head to D&D Sapphire Anniversary Dice Set.

Join in the celebration of D&D’s forty-fifth anniversary and pick-up this beautiful dice set when it’s available on November 21st!

* Okay, you caught us. Humans grew these sapphires in laboratories on Earth. Sorry.

** Still kidding. Still lab-grown by humans.

48FA9FCB-0BAA-46A7-84F1-F4FFAAEFCF4E.png

300$ for dices = overprice = swindling

Turning a blind eye isn't "failing to see". It is being complacent.
The definition of swindle - to get money dishonestly from someone by deceiving or cheating them.

WotC are neither deceiving or cheating anyone. They are being very up front about the fact that these dice are $299 and that there are less than 2,000 of them. They are even telling people the sapphires are lab-grown. If they wanted to be dishonest, they would have omitted that fact.

Anyone who plays RPGs knows that $299 for a set of dice is ridiculously expensive and that you can buy a set of dice from hundreds of places for $10.

So no, WotC are not swindling anyone, no matter how many times you say it.

Are they selling way overpriced dice? Absolutely.
Are they swindling anyone? No.

Dire Bare

Legend
The definition of swindle - to get money dishonestly from someone by deceiving or cheating them.

WotC are neither deceiving or cheating anyone. They are being very up front about the fact that these dice are $299 and that there are less than 2,000 of them. They are even telling people the sapphires are lab-grown. If they wanted to be dishonest, they would have omitted that fact.

Anyone who plays RPGs knows that $299 for a set of dice is ridiculously expensive and that you can buy a set of dice from hundreds of places for $10.

So no, WotC are not swindling anyone, no matter how many times you say it.

Are they selling way overpriced dice? Absolutely.
Are they swindling anyone? No.

I wouldn't even say that they are overpriced. I have no idea how expensive that size of lab-grown sapphire is, but it sure ain't cheap. This is definitely a luxury item, and I am sure WotC will have no problem selling all 2,000 (ish) sets. $300 dice for the average joe gamer? Of course not. But I'm sure Joe Mangianello and his friends might pick up a few sets! (or equivalent well-off gamers)

I wouldn't even say that they are overpriced. I have no idea how expensive that size of lab-grown sapphire is, but it sure ain't cheap. This is definitely a luxury item, and I am sure WotC will have no problem selling all 2,000 (ish) sets. $300 dice for the average joe gamer? Of course not. But I'm sure Joe Mangianello and his friends might pick up a few sets! (or equivalent well-off gamers)
Lab grown sapphires doesn't seem to be very expensive at all - Lab Created Blue Sapphire, Synthetic Blue Sapphire, Created Blue Sapphire Round Shape

This place sells lab-grown sapphires that are 5mm in diameter for $1.30 USD each (well, technically $26 USD for 20). So if WotC is buying 2,000 sapphires I'm guessing their unit price would be even less than that.

I agree this is a luxury item and expect WotC to sell all the sets without trouble.

Dire Bare

Legend
Lab grown sapphires doesn't seem to be very expensive at all - Lab Created Blue Sapphire, Synthetic Blue Sapphire, Created Blue Sapphire Round Shape

This place sells lab-grown sapphires that are 5mm in diameter for $1.30 USD each (well, technically $26 USD for 20). So if WotC is buying 2,000 sapphires I'm guessing their unit price would be even less than that.

I agree this is a luxury item and expect WotC to sell all the sets without trouble.

Did a (super) quick search and it looks like a "normal" set of aluminum dice can run you about $100. Throw in the nice, fancy wooden dice box and tray, and we are getting closer to $300, but not quite there. The difference is "limited run" I suppose. Hah! Still, the price tag doesn't bother me for what you get and noting the fact that this is a collectible luxury item. I'm not buying a set, but I'm not upset they exist nor do I worry that this type of release threatens the hobby, as some seem to feel each time we discuss this recent wave of luxury D&D items.

There's a cool plastic Demogorgon action figure from one of the Loot Crates going for about $200 on the secondary market right now . . . . cool figure, a big "no" on that price. But I'm okay with it being out there and not on my shelf . . . . although it IS much cooler looking than most of the Demogorgon miniatures produced for the game over the years. Why does such an iconic bad guy get such lousy looking miniatures?!?!

Did a (super) quick search and it looks like a "normal" set of aluminum dice can run you about $100. Throw in the nice, fancy wooden dice box and tray, and we are getting closer to $300, but not quite there. The difference is "limited run" I suppose. Hah! Still, the price tag doesn't bother me for what you get and noting the fact that this is a collectible luxury item. I'm not buying a set, but I'm not upset they exist nor do I worry that this type of release threatens the hobby, as some seem to feel each time we discuss this recent wave of luxury D&D items.

There's a cool plastic Demogorgon action figure from one of the Loot Crates going for about $200 on the secondary market right now . . . . cool figure, a big "no" on that price. But I'm okay with it being out there and not on my shelf . . . . although it IS much cooler looking than most of the Demogorgon miniatures produced for the game over the years. Why does such an iconic bad guy get such lousy looking miniatures?!?!
I also have no issue with WotC selling these dice either, despite not being in the target market for it. If some people buy them and enjoy them, more power to them.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
-Why not swindle people into bying overpriced dices? Much easier than making quality D&D supplements, adventures and source books.

-Brilliant! You are now head of marketing at WotC.
As long as there are people out there willing to drop $300 on a set of dice, that means the hobby is probably in an okay place.
Those dice aren't for me, but I'm not complaining....

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So, neither offended nor interested in the dice, but what I find interesting is the Sapphire Dragon art and stat block. Greg Tito and Chris Perkins have been cracking jokes about Gem Dragons as of late, and I doubt they will not reuse this Monster somewhere, and maybe not too far into the futute.

Remove ads

Remove ads