2d20 Achtung! Cthulhu Is Here

Modiphius has been working on the 2d20 version of Achtung! Cthulhu for nearly two years. A pulp-action game cinematic heroes and Cthuloid terrors, it was originally a Call of Cthulhu setting, and a Savage Worlds setting, set in World War II, with Allied heroes fighting evil Nazis and their supernatural allies.

achtung-cthulhu-2d20-launch-day-553786_700x458.jpg

The new edition, launched today, is powered by Modiphius' 2d20 system, and is available from their web store. The launch line-up includes Player and Gamester Guides, a collector's edition, dice, and a GM screen.

Better yet, there's a free Quickstart! It's called A Quick Trip to France, and has the heroes investigating a sleepy French village, a mysterious chateau, and a villainous Nazi organization. it's 48 pages, and includes a starter ruleset, the adventure, and pre-generated characters.

Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 3.01.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 3.02.17 PM.png

lyle.spade

Adventurer
I've read the quickstart and adventure, and it sounds great. Definitely running the quickstart ASAP.
I'll be preordering this, just deciding if the Black Sun one volume is worth it. I mean, it's really not, but it looks cool :)
I think you'll enjoy the QS, and the PG and GM's Guide are, from what I've seen, great. I am a big fan of 2d20, and I think this might be the best interpretation of the system yet, especially when it comes to magic. It balances nicely between the more fluffy Star Trek Adventures and the crunchier, appropriately blood-soaked Conan.

And the GM's Guide has a nice selection of foes, both mundane and otherwise. I could see an extended campaign out of this, especially if you adopted a balance of mythos-related stories and those that involved only the actual enemies found during the war. There is enough material to do both.

I think you'll enjoy the QS, and the PG and GM's Guide are, from what I've seen, great. I am a big fan of 2d20, and I think this might be the best interpretation of the system yet, especially when it comes to magic. It balances nicely between the more fluffy Star Trek Adventures and the crunchier, appropriately blood-soaked Conan.

And the GM's Guide has a nice selection of foes, both mundane and otherwise. I could see an extended campaign out of this, especially if you adopted a balance of mythos-related stories and those that involved only the actual enemies found during the war. There is enough material to do both.
I like 2D20 - I started running Trek at xmas, and it has been a huge hit with my players. Everyone likes 2D20. I think 2D20 has the problem where it is often poorly explained, and reads poorly. If someone walks you through it, it's quite simple, especially with Trek, and now Achtung. I wish more people would give it a shot, as it's really quite good. It requires a bit of a mindset change, particularly with regard to the metacurrency, but if you run with it, it works great.

I think I agree with you as this being the best version of 2D20 yet; it's quite similar to Trek. I read Dune Quickstart and mostly liked it, but was quite confused about some of the combat and how to run the desertfall adventure with tension, as there are lots of things that aren't well explained or fleshed out. I felt like the adventure in the Achtung Chtulhu quickstart would be very easy to run, and very easy to extend and polish up with my own bits and pieces and spots of description.

lyle.spade

Adventurer
I think 2D20 has the problem where it is often poorly explained, and reads poorly. If someone walks you through it, it's quite simple, especially with Trek, and now Achtung. I wish more people would give it a shot, as it's really quite good. It requires a bit of a mindset change, particularly with regard to the metacurrency, but if you run with it, it works great.
Well said. I had to play it (Conan Free RPG Day scenario) before it all clicked. This guy does a nice job of breaking down the core mechanic (and other parts in other posts). I've been thinking of starting a gaming podcast and have recorded some draft episodes in which I explain the core mechanic, then another one about Threat, etc. and so on. It's self-evident once you get it, but you have to get it.

I don't know if it's the same momentum mechanic that they used in their Conan products, but I think it's great. It's something I've been working on to adapt to my 5E campaigns.
It's the same thing. I get the distaste it can trigger in some people - initially i was turned off by it - but I get it as a self-balancing mechanism. It's pretty neat and works well.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
This would have been perfect for Pulp Cthulhu. Oh well, I'm sure Modiphius will do a 2d20 version of Pulp Cthulhu itself at some point, when that happens the 2d20 Ouroboros will be complete and the stars will finally be right.

Momentum Fthagn

Last edited:

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases