D&D 3E/3.5 2nd Edition Advantages and Disadvantages in 3E?

hellbender

First Post
Maybe this has been addressed before, I am sure it has, but I cannot find it.
A co-DM wants to run a campaign using the Advantages and Disadvantages from 2nd Edition and asked me to ask if anyone has converted them to Third Edition. I am one of those 1st editioners that ran when 2E came out, therefore I am not much help there, but I told him I would ask.

Thank you for any information,
hellbender

hellbender

First Post
Hey, thanks a million for the link, Kaptain Kantrip, I will pass that along. I agree, it is a great link and I hope it helps out the other DM.

Take care,
Hellbender

My only beef with the traits is that the generally act like feats and should probably be treated as such. Disadvantages could be introduced to give players more feats instead then - but the system is often misused!

-Zarrocl

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
Glad to be of service! One could easily take the GURPS advantages & disadvantages section and tailor it to 3e as well, or the old Top Secret/S.I. box set rules from TSR (1987), which had a great section on advantages and disadvantages. Both of these systems had much more to offer than the 2e skills & powers book (which was at least a major step in the right direction, IMO).

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
I would treat the "traits" as feats, but allow a player to take one extra feat in exchange for a disadvantage. It really does help define a starting character to have that extra feat and a disadvantage, particularly if the DM enforces the consequences of it and uses it as an adventure hook...

Remove ads