• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] - Alignments?

RigaMortus

Explorer
Anyone hear or read anything about what WotC is going to do with their Alignment's section? Specifically, I hope they expand upon their definitions and possibly give examples of how someone with X alignment would act in a given situation.

Li Shenron

Legend
RigaMortus said:
Anyone hear or read anything about what WotC is going to do with their Alignment's section? Specifically, I hope they expand upon their definitions and possibly give examples of how someone with X alignment would act in a given situation.

I haven't heard anything. I think the section is already very well written, but I would appreciate too if there was even more :)

RigaMortus

Explorer
I was thinking something like this (please remember this is a VERY simplistic look, it's just an example of some kind of alignment chart I would like to see):

Lawful
------------
1) Never tells a lie
2) Keeps a promise

Neutral
------------
1) Won't lie to legitimate authority.
2) Will keep a promise to legitimate authority.
(assume "legitimate authority" as a party member, ally or someone in a position of leadership, such as a king).

Chaotic
------------
1) Lies whenever he wants.
2) Has no problem breaking his word.

Good
------------
1) Respects life, kills only as a last resort.
2) Will go out of his way to save an innocent, even to the point of sacrificing himself.

Neutral
------------
1) Respects life, but won't go out of his way to save the life of an enemy, just as he won't go out of his way to kill them either.
2) Will help an innocent, but will not go out of his way to do it. Won't sacrifice himself for an innocent.

Evil
------------
1) Has no respect for life, kills when he feels like it.
2) Will not help an innocent, but may decide to go out of his way to harm them even further.

yennico

First Post
Hello RigaMortus,
The alignment system of Palladium RPG or Rifts has such a "chart". You can use this chart also for D&D, if you want.

Just my 2 cents
yennico

Last edited:

Maitre Du Donjon

First Post
RigaMortus, that'd be cool, but it would be hard to take into account, say, the many many faces that evil can take. You gave as an example, for evil, "Has no respect for life, kills when he feels like it", but not all evil characters are murderers (or would want to be). I don't think it's plausible to cover the multitude of situations that could arise...

I understand that what you offered was very simplistic, but if they did want to do it right, they'd have to have something like a "scaling" alignment system... (Dr. Evil - satan - rat bastard - Neutral - Sugar and Spice - Mother Theresa - Piratecat)

Maitre D

yennico

First Post
Maitre Du Donjon said:
I understand that what you offered was very simplistic, but if they did want to do it right, they'd have to have something like a "scaling" alignment system... (Dr. Evil - satan - rat bastard - Neutral - Sugar and Spice - Mother Theresa - Piratecat)

Dr. Evil = CE
Neutral = neutral
Mother Theresa = CG or LG :)
Piratecat = LG :D

Just my 2 cents
yennico

Maitre Du Donjon

First Post
i was trying to illustrate the "scaling" that the alignment could have, ie from very evil to very good... it doesn't take into account the "law-chaos" axis. :)

Maitre D

Remove ads