D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] alternates to Freedom of Movement?

Sorrowdusk

First Post
Warlock invocations are somatic only. Silence will not help.

HUH? :-S

I'm not talking about silencing the warlock, I'm talking about the party cleric or a multiclass warlock ALSO silencing the wizard in addition to grappling him in the tentacles. He could even use a scroll actually.

This is why the wizard being run by the DM should account for this should it come up. Mental command items or both still and silence metamagic spell could help him escape.

(I think the problem is, is that when I say "you" sometimes its "you-the DM" and other times its "you-the PC".)

Last edited:

Eman Resu

First Post
just how many Evards Black Tent. can a Warlock have at once? That is how long does this spell last? And can the Warlock have more than one EBT active at once? Talk about battle field control!

Wyvernhand

First Post
Chilling Tentacles states that it is the same as EBT, which have a duration of rounds/level. Its a Greater Invocation, so you get it first available at 11th level. At that level, you can cast it 11 times before the duration of the first expires. At a 20' radius, it covers 28 5' squares. 11 times means that you can cover 308 squares with betentacled doom at any given point, roughly 7700 square feet. To put it in perspective, thats an area that is just 300 square feet of being clasified as a mansion by standard definitions.

Thats a lot of tentacle rape!

Sorrowdusk

First Post
Perhaps, but my own lock has yet to do it namely because fights dont last that long, and often there's not nearly so much open/free space, and targets inevitably get into melee with my party. (but if everyone was FoMd...)

Eman Resu

First Post
if 2 opposing warlocks cast EBT side by side would the spells attack eachother? If the same warlock cast overlapping EBT would the tentacles attack eachother? Would the hapless in the wrong squares at the wrong time have to combat both spells?

I know there is a lot of talk about the freedom of movement vs grapple..Truth is very few people will have this on at the time of combat...and very few have a "on all the time" magical or class ability...its kinda expensive for the magical! If your DM is stacking the encounters with baddies all with FoM. Ask him to include auto saves vs all the spellcasters spells and some sort of timeless body effect so all melee damage is likewise useless!

CuRoi

First Post
Someone may have pointed this out but grappling does not stop spell casting. It forces you to make a DC 20 Concentration check, which for most casters is pretty easy at the levels you are talking about. Sure, you need the component in hand and it can't have Somatic, so it's difficult without either Still Spell or Eschew Materials. There are still some great spells which are Verbal only, soem have already been mentioned (Personally IMC I allow Somatics with the concentration check when "Grappled" but not while Pinned...)

You say a "high level" Evoker / Eldritch Knight caster could do, but don't specify a level.

Blink - You can make your moves while not on the material plane and exit the tentacle's area.

Tenser's Transformation - Bump Strength and gives a Fighter BAB - you aren't casting spells though with this, so it is ideal if your Evoker / Eldritch knight has already cast all his "buff" spells and is ready to throw down.

Is Contingency an option? I don't think making a Contingency based on being immobilized or grappled would be too out of place for any high level mage given the pain it can be.

Take a level of Cleric and get Travel Domain : )

Ask the caster to turn off the Tentacles? Nicely? (Suggestion - Verbal only)

How high a level? Disjunction is V only : ) Prismatic Sphere...Wish...Open the fight with Mislead / Flight, etc. etc. I'm probably getting outside the level range here, heh.

Last edited:

Remove ads