D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Canny Defense Question

iwatt

First Post
Yeah, well precise strike was one of the best features of the class. It worked all the time, provided the creature could be hit by critical strikes. Basically turns your base dmage into a 2handed sword :). An it stacks with sneak attack. I've got mixed feelings ( front loading versus more power now! :D ).

Technik4

First Post
Its still weird that Deflect Arrows is a 9th level ability. Also I would have liked it if Precise Strike started at +1d6 at 1st, +2d6 at 5th, then +3d6 at 10th. I think they cut the cherrypicking down enough by nerfing Canny Defense. How do 1st level duelists make it to level 2? Their AC plummeted since they stopped wearing armor, and they picked up a +1 bonus to their AC.

Technik

drnuncheon

Explorer
Technik4 said:
How do 1st level duelists make it to level 2? Their AC plummeted since they stopped wearing armor, and they picked up a +1 bonus to their AC.

You know, just because you have an ability that adds to your AC when you're unarmored doesn't mean you have to always go unarmored.

My PC is picking up duelist next level, and I don't intend on giving up his +3 mithril shirt anytime soon. The Canny Defence will be a nice boost if he' ever caught without it, though.

J

iwatt

First Post
Funny, I thought it was less front loaded and weaker now.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear in what I was saying.
As a DM and as a enthusiast in cutting down cherry-picking, I love the changes to the Duelist.

As the proud owner of a Rog1/Fig1/Brb1 well on his way too taking duelist, I'm going to miss the initial high boosts to AC and the rapid advancement of precise strike.

LokiDR

First Post
iwatt said:

Sorry, I wasn't very clear in what I was saying.
As a DM and as a enthusiast in cutting down cherry-picking, I love the changes to the Duelist.

As the proud owner of a Rog1/Fig1/Brb1 well on his way too taking duelist, I'm going to miss the initial high boosts to AC and the rapid advancement of precise strike.

Well, everytime I created some powergamed duelist, I just ended up having insane AC and little to no ability to hurt the monsters. Now, even the AC isn't tempting, so it is a good choice for the powergamer in me as well as the roleplayer.

Olive

Explorer
drnuncheon said:
Yup. You get the lower of your int bonus or your duelist level (with a floor of 0).

J

That's a really good way to expalin it. I had to read the text in the DMG twice to figure it out, and I'm sure some pleople will skim it and misunderstand...

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
If I want to play an armorless, high-DEX, skilled fighter, this sort of PrC would be perfect in general, but why does that automatically mean dagger or rapier?

It doesn't - you could use a halfspear, a trident, a morningstar, or - my favourite - a heavy pick...

In 3.0 you could even use shuriken or a hand crossbow, but I think the terminology changes in 3.5 imply that you can't any more...

-Hyp.

Spatzimaus

First Post
Originally posted by Hypersmurf It doesn't - you could use a halfspear, a trident, a morningstar, or - my favourite - a heavy pick...

Okay, but that's my point exactly. Rapier, Trident, Morningstar, Pick... these are all very different weapons, each wielded in an entirely different manner, and yet all of them work for this ability simply because they do piercing damage. (Also, doesn't it explicitly say "one-handed weapon"? I'd think that'd rule out tridents, although I'm not sure what size they are in the 3.5E lists)

On the other hand, a Longsword, Glaive, Mace, and Handaxe don't work. A Mace and a Morningstar are far more similar than a Morningstar is to Picks/Tridents/Rapiers, and you can use similar logic for the other pairings. My point was, it seems like a somewhat nonsensical limitation. The type of damage the weapon does has very little to do with how the weapon is wielded, so why should a finesse-based class be limited only to piercing weapons for its best ability?

I'd suggest one of two changes:
1> Let any one-handed melee weapon work.
2> All weapons benefiting from Weapon Finesse work, no matter how many hands they use.

Either way would be an improvement, IMO.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
(Also, doesn't it explicitly say "one-handed weapon"? I'd think that'd rule out tridents, although I'm not sure what size they are in the 3.5E lists)

Light or one-handed. A Trident was Medium in 3E, and it's one-handed in 3.5.

Presumably so you can use it with a net, or something.

-Hyp.

Remove ads