• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Collection of Tactic & Strategies

Nimloth

First Post
As far as I know, there isn't one. Might be in an FAQ, or something by The Sage.
I thought there was a rule for polymorph/size reduction magic that said it couldn't expand if there wasn't room. I was looking for the rules that said that. I guess I'll have to do some digging.

Jimlock

Adventurer
Never give the Rogue the Bag of Holding.

1.There are chances you might never see him again.

2.When he goes scouting at the baddies' camp something "bad" might happen... and you 'll find yourselves without the rogue...and without the Bag of Holding.

Greenfield

Adventurer
Shrink a sack of nails and store it in an iron pipe scored with lines. If the nails are allowed to expand in their tight confines, what happens? Can you say "Pipe bomb"? Considering that it's a 3rd level spell, I'd argue for Fireball type damage and area, with appropriate Reflex (Fortitude?) Save. But the ability to stockpile such things, then have them go off just because the caster tosses them on the floor makes them more than a little broken.
Been digging, and can't find a written rule one way or the other.

The ugly thought is that the items can revert based on a command word as well. If expansion isn't limited by confines, and we go the pipe bomb route, how many can I rig with the same "word of command"? We're now starting to resemble Meteor Swarm, or worse.

This is the point where any sane DM simply says "No!", and beats me severely about the head and shoulders with a rule book.

Greenfield

Adventurer
Found a related note under Enlarge Person: A person subjected to that spell in a space that isn't big enough will grow until they fill the space, then stop. They can try to break through, but if they don't or can't then they simply stop growing. You can't use the spell to crush someone.

So from this I'd conclude that the reduced item would try to expand, but would stop when it ran out of space. So pipe bomb effects are out, but Henry Pym is in.

BTW: I'd throw a Heightened, Maximized Dispel BS on the pipe bomb idea too. It's just too abusive.

Jon_Dahl

First Post
- Aid. Always perform Aid Another. It's very easy, you will most likely succeed in that very easy roll and there is no harm in that. This is of course assuming that your DM is not a house rule monster. For instance, if everybody aids the 1st-level ranger in survival rolls, you'll be living of the land in no time!
- If you're strong and no one is attacking you, why not throw away your shield and attack with two hands for more damage? I've found this immensily useful with my 3rd-level fighter.
- Don't underestimate divination spells of the cleric
- In a ranged combat always fire/throw from a kneeling position, because standing up does not provoke AoO

Something that came up in my last session: Even when facing a dragon, don't spread out until certain buffs have gone up. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING is more annoying for your buffers than not being to able to help you do your job when you rush headlong into the monster from the get-go.

Medium characters might want to try to get a hold of Sizing reach weapons. Small reach weapons still have reach but can be wielded in one hand, and eventually the -2 penalty becomes laughable.

Remember that Diplomacy skill? Using rules from Complete Adventurer you can haggle for prices on items with it. Who wouldn't want to spend less on the same items?

Additional: As mentioned, Mount can be used for "detecting" traps. Likewise, Summon Monster and Summon Nature's Ally can work. In my current campaign we don't have a rogue, so the previous Cleric would summon a monkey to trip traps from a safe distance.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads