• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5]Druid's "must-have" Magic Items?

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Scribe scroll is good, but nowhere near as good as natural spell, a feat so important to a druid that it should either be banned or be a class feature.

You can buy scrolls from other druids, after all, but you can't get around the natural spell restriction otherwise.

Daniel

tmaaas

First Post
Pielorinho said:
Scribe scroll is good, but nowhere near as good as natural spell, a feat so important to a druid that it should either be banned or be a class feature.

You can buy scrolls from other druids, after all, but you can't get around the natural spell restriction otherwise.

Daniel

Sigh. I agree with you. Too bad it doesn't apply to my current campaign where I'm a druid. It's in the Scarred Lands, where "magic items are more rare." My DM has interpreted this to mean we can't buy magic items. At all. No 1st-level scrolls. No Potions of Cure Light Wounds. Nada. If you want it, you'd better find it or make it yourself.

Thus, my druid has Scribe Scroll. I consider it indispensible.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Ah - in such a campaign, then yes, Scribe Scroll is great. What's more, you ought to be able to sell those scrolls at a premium to other druids :).

Daniel

Well, though it is certainly not the "usual" way of doing things as a druid, I thought I might as well point out the following:

The Tower Shield.

As druid's don't need to worry about arcane spell failure, and practically all of their offensive spells don't require attack rolls, this can be pretty impressive. My current druid is a summoner; take total cover behind shield, summon army of animals. Of course, you could also start flame strikin', call lightning'n, ice stormin', etc, but you get the idea. You don't even need to waste a feat on Tower Shield proficiency, as the only ill effect you suffer from not having it is that the armor check penalty is added to your attack rolls. So, while certainly not a good thing if you plan on being a "melee" druid, it means diddly if you're playing the kind of druid I mentioned.

Brekki

First Post
DM2 said:
It is a great armor for druids, except for one major obstacle...druids don't have heavy armor proficiency, so a -5 penalty applies to all attack rolls, and all movement related skill checks while not in wildshaped form.

I guess with natural spell you could ignore that penalty by staying wildshaped pretty much all day though...

DM2

There is no obstacle ... elven darkleaf armor is treated as one category lighter, just like mithral. So darkleaf fullplate is in effect a medium armor.

Brekki said:
There is no obstacle ... elven darkleaf armor is treated as one category lighter, just like mithral. So darkleaf fullplate is in effect a medium armor.

I think he was referring to the Magic Dragonhide Fullplate, which still counts as heavy armor. I know; my druid was given a load of dragon scale and I'm only having the half-plate & shield made for show. Thank Ghu I got my GM to allow scale-studded leather armor.

When I get up to level, though, you betcha I'll be buying a chain shirt and casting transmute metal to wood and ironwood on it.

Of course by 3.5 rules, using Craft Wonderous/Arms & Armor it should be easy to make permanent ironwood items given the high spell duration.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
kigmatzomat said:
When I get up to level, though, you betcha I'll be buying a chain shirt and casting transmute metal to wood and ironwood on it.
:eek: How come I never thought of that before? This trick transforms Ironwood from being a pretty useless spell to being a standard part of a druid's repertoire.

Awesome!
Daniel

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Still, though, mike: you can basically cast it once every two weeks (perhaps during a day of rest, shopping, information-gathering, etc.) and thereby circumvent a druid's armor restrictions to a great degree.

Daniel

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads