D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Errata Reporting

From Andy Collins' boards:

Send PH and DMG errata to Kim Mohan: kim.mohan@wizards.com

Send MM errata to Gwendolyn Kestrel: gwendolyn.kestrel@wizards.com

In the subject line, include the book (PH/DMG/MM), page number, and a keyword or two to help categorize it.

In the text, describe in brief what you think is incorrect.

When possible, limit errata to one per email (it's a lot easier for Kim or Gwendolyn to sort them that way).

Don't philosophize about the change, pose questions, or include anything other than the error you find.

EXAMPLE:

Subject: PH 91, Weapon Finesse
Body: The entry for Weapon Finesse on Table 5-1 includes a superscript 2, but this footnote no longer applies to Weapon Finesse (since you can't take it multiple times).

Thanks!
Andy Collins
Senior Designer
Wizards of the Coast Roleplaying R&D

Here's what I've reported so far (or Andy himself mentioned he knows of:

PHB

1. The rogue is still proficient with the sap.

2. p.100; The Shield proficiency feat refers to small and large shields (rather than light and heavy shields).

3. p.115; The illustration shows the a light lance; there is no longer a light lance listed anywhere in the equipment tables.

4. pg. 114; Six lines explaining critical modifiers appear twice in the right hand column at the top of the page.

5. pg. 91; The entry for Weapon Finesse on Table 5-1 includes a superscript 2, but this footnote no longer applies to Weapon Finesse (since you can't take it multiple times).

6. Touch of Idiocy Spell listing, PHB p 193 and Touch of Idiocy Spell description, PHB p 294. Subject takes 1d6 points of Int, Wis, and Cha damage and Your successful melee touch attack applies a 1d6 penalty to the target's Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. There's a difference between dealing ability damage, and applying a penalty.

7. Mislead spell description, PHB p 255, refers to Improved Invisibility, which is gone.

8. The Medium Armor proficiency feat on page 89 says bards have it. (They do not.)

9. Evard's Black Tentacles spell listing, PHB p 194 and Evard's Black Tentacles spell description, PHB p 228 Tentacles grapple all within 15 ft spread. and Area: 20-ft.-radius spread. One of these must be wrong.

10. Endurance Feat, Pg. 93 States that you may sleep in Light or Medium Armor without Penalty. Armor Check Penalty Pg. 122. States that sleeping in medium or heavy armor causes fatigue. Light armor does not cause fatigue.

11. Earthquake spell listing, PHB p 185, 186 (twice), and 191 and Earthquake spell description, PHB p 225: Intense tremor shakes 5-ft./level radius (all spell listings) and Area: 80-ft.-radius spread (S). Either the spell listings or the spell description is wrong.

DMG

1. pg. 222; The half-spear appears in the magic weapon tables; per the PHB this weapon is now just a spear.

2. Prestige Class XP Penalty: It does not say in the description that PrC do not incur xp penalties in regards to multiclassing. This has already been pointed out as an oversight, and it should be there.

3. Cost of scribing spells into spellbook for Bocobb’s Blessed Book (should read 100 gp).

4. The DMG talks about disorientation on p. 297, referring to the spell. The Polymorph spell says nothing about disorientation.

5. DMG Pg.198 Gaining Fixed Hit Points Ranger listed in table as having d10 hit dice and gaining the benefits there of.

6. Shield with spikes enhancement pricing, page 217 DMG. The example of the pricing of a +1 shield with +1 spikes uses a buckler. But the PHB says that you can't add spikes to a buckler.

MM

1. Emotion should not be on the red dragon’s spell list; the spell no longer exists.

2. Shambling Mound Art Typo. Monster name spelled as "Shambine mound" on page 223 of the Monster Manual.

3. Mummy Lord's Stats, MM Page 190. Mummy Lord's AC: 30 (+1 Dex, +10 natural armor, +9 +2 half-plate armor), touch 11, flat footed 29 The Mummy Lord has a +1 Dex modifier to his AC, when wearing a half-plate. This isn't possible since the max dex modifier from half-plate is +0.

I pity editors. While this is far less than any one of the 3.0 books, it's still pretty embarassing for a revision.

Anyone else have stuff to add? Email WOTC then post it here (I'm compiling my own errata doc until the official one comes out).

Last edited:

EricNoah

Adventurer
Thanks for the info. My feeling is errata collecting should take place in the Rules forum so I'll slide this over there.

cerberus2112

First Post
Sorry, can't refer to page numbers

The Mind Flayer Sorcerer 9 should have a CR of 13. (The Sorcerer is not an associated class for the Mind Flayer). I reported it yesterday. Actually, I'm not technically certain this is errata, since it is possible they could decide that Sorcerer is an associated class for the Mind Flayer, but who really thinks that a Mind Flayer who can cast sleep is worth +1 CR?

EricNoah

Adventurer
my "errata":

Not truly an error, but an important oversight, in my opinion: an important spell, align weapon, has not been included in the tables for randomly generating scrolls, potions or wands. Similarly, random generation of weapons made from special materials (cold iron, silver, adamantine) has not been worked into the treasure tables as far as I can see except for table 7-16 Specific Weapons (silver dagger, cold iron longsword, adamantine dagger, adamantine battle axe).

If the D&D "universe" now relies on aligned weapons and special materials to overcome damage resistance, these items should come up in random generation. Plus, particularly with materials, I feel the need to see how rare/common each material might be in comparison to various weapon special abilities (i.e. is adamantine as common/rare as a +1 ability, a +2 ability, etc.).

Marimmar@Home

First Post
PH 168, large steel shield reference

A minor one...

The treasure division example refers to a heavy steel shield as a large steel shield.

~Marimmar

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I've reported a few errata - the MM regeneration entry wrongly lists disintegrate as a "not causing hp damage" source

DMG p222 says armour and shields get +1 to hardness and hp for every +1 enhancement, shield section says +2 and +10 respectively.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Errors are hard to catch. I know this from experience.

But some of these are downright embarassing. If you are going to make a change (I'll use the Ranger's HD, rather than pick on one of the senseless changes) one would think it would be worth your while to go through and change all references to Ranger's HD.

The DR defeating weapons is another great example. Good catch, Eric...

Wulf

Tharizdun

First Post
PHB, P190 Druid spel list, Magic Fang

PHB, P190 Druid spel list, Magic Fang, Greater: states that "One natural weapon of subject creature gets +1/three levels on ..."

In the text op page 250 this is +1/four levels

Remove ads