D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5]Golems: Immunity to Magic...

FireLance

Legend
Dakkareth said:
I haven't looked through the 3.5e spelllist how many spells don't allow SR (if there are changes at all), but it seems OK to me - with a select few spells wizards have a chance to affect it.

Most offensive spells of the Conjuration school now do not allow SR, e.g. Acid Splash, Glitterdust, Melf's Acid Arrow, Web, Stinking Cloud, Evard's Black Tentacles, Cloudkill, Acid Cloud, Incendiary Cloud, etc.

3.5e has expanded a wizard's options against golems and spell resistant opponents.

rushlight

Roll for Initiative!
Iku Rex said:
How do you expect me to prove that something isn't in the MM or DMG? :rolleyes:

Heh, I honestly don't expect you to prove it. Because under 3.0 Spell Immunity works just as I described. You'll just have to wait for me to get home in order to give you page and FAQ references, I suppose. :)

HeavyG

First Post
rushlight said:
It affected golems under 3.0 - the rule was just harder to find. Somewhere buried in the DMG or the MM was the rule that "Spell immunity was the same as having an unbeatable Spell Resistance".

Right, but golems didn't have spell immunity, they had magic immunity.

Artoomis

First Post
HeavyG said:

Right, but golems didn't have spell immunity, they had magic immunity.

Right. Previous [3.0] discussion on this all centered around the fact that golems had a unique ability called "Magic Immunity."

The golem write-up has been changed, so they no longer have a "magic immunity" like they used to, but have unbeatable SR instead.

Last edited:

Iku Rex

Explorer
rushlight said:
Heh, I honestly don't expect you to prove it. Because under 3.0 Spell Immunity works just as I described. You'll just have to wait for me to get home in order to give you page and FAQ references, I suppose. :)
The reason I was so sure that neither the DMG or the MM says anything about the golem's magic immunity is that I've read quite a few debates about it.

The "unbeatable spell resistance" line was frequently quoted. It's from the "spell immunity" spell in the PH and also appears in the description of some of the "spell immunity" abilities in the MM.

The Sage ruled (in private e-mail ) that the golem's magic immunity works the same way. But you won't be able to find this info in the MM or DMG.

(And that brief lecture will teach me not to make nitpicky one-word comments in the future. :) )

rushlight

Roll for Initiative!
Ahh, well I haven't had a chance to find it yet, but it very well could have been from a Sage ruling that I read that. In fact, I believe that's why I noticed specifically that Maze was usable against a Golem - it was probably also mentioned with the "Immunity = 100% SR" comment. That's the spell that caught my attention. :)

Someone

Adventurer
heirodule said:
I find it interesting that the description for Stone to Flesh actually says that casting it on a Stone Golem will change it into a flesh golem.

It says the same in 3.5. I think it´s a leftover from 2E -I think the spell there said the same-, or maybe the spell were designed before the monsters. I don´t know.

FireLance

Legend
The Blue Elf said:
Well if I use Spell Grease on the Golem what effect would that cause if I casted that on the floor?

Assuming this is not a hypothetical question...

Grease would have the same effect on a golem as it would have on any other creature, because it does not allow spell resistance.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
re

FireLance said:

Most offensive spells of the Conjuration school now do not allow SR, e.g. Acid Splash, Glitterdust, Melf's Acid Arrow, Web, Stinking Cloud, Evard's Black Tentacles, Cloudkill, Acid Cloud, Incendiary Cloud, etc.

3.5e has expanded a wizard's options against golems and spell resistant opponents.

It is the little changes like this that make the changes to Haste, a few other spells, Spell Focus and Spell Power much more palatable. They may have toned down the wizard's power, but also changed certain monster abilities to allow the wizard to actually be more effective than previously.

The new edition did a very nice balancing job.

Remove ads