D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5]Golems: Immunity to Magic...

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Do you think Golems are immune to Supernatural effects still or do you think they failed to include immunity to supernatural abilities in the golem description?

SRD states in the initial section on Golems that "Immunity to Magic (Ex): Golems have immunity to most magical and supernatural effects, except when otherwise noted."

Then SRD states the following in the individual descriptions for each Golem:

Immunity to Magic (Ex): A <insert golem type> is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against the creature, as noted below.

Notice how it specifically states any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. I am wondering if the initial text was a holdover from the previous edition that wasn't changed. It would be real cool if Golems could be affected by Supernatural abilities like Dragon breath and the like.

They are already immune to most of the Supernatural attacks that should not affect a golem such as energy drain and ability damage due to being a construct.

What do you think? I personally feel that they weren't supposed to be immune to all supernatural abilities and that it is a holdover from the previous version.

Last edited:

Dakkareth

First Post
I'd also interprete it as immunity to all spells that allow SR.

This makes sense considering that it is indeed 'noted otherwise below' and thus has no contradiction. Also it fits with the definition of immunity as unbeatable resistance - no SR allowed = even infinite SR won't save you.

I haven't looked through the 3.5e spelllist how many spells don't allow SR (if there are changes at all), but it seems OK to me - with a select few spells wizards have a chance to affect it.

rushlight

Roll for Initiative!
Any effect that doesn't allow for a SR check will hurt a golem, or any magical immunity. One change from 3.0 to 3.5 that is interesting: Maze now must check for SR - no more simple golem removal!

Last edited:

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
re

That is what I am thinking. Certain supernatural abilities like dragon's breath should now affect a golem. I like that change.

rushlight

Roll for Initiative!
It affected golems under 3.0 - the rule was just harder to find. Somewhere buried in the DMG or the MM was the rule that "Spell immunity was the same as having an unbeatable Spell Resistance".

By inference, a spell that doesn't allow for a SR check can harm something with an "unbeatable SR".

heirodule

First Post
I find it interesting that the description for Stone to Flesh actually says that casting it on a Stone Golem will change it into a flesh golem.

Iku Rex

Explorer
Celtavian said:
What do you think? I personally feel that they weren't supposed to be immune to all supernatural abilities and that it is a holdover from the previous version.
Agreed. You should put this in the errata thread.

rushlight

Roll for Initiative!
Iku Rex said:

Well, I hate to contradict your well thought out post - despite all the effort you went into citing the rule that shows I was incorrect. But I don't believe that I was wrong.

I am at work now, but when I get home I will be glad to look up the rule and share it with you - along with I believe a snippet from the official FAQs.

Of course, if you'd be so kind as to elaborate on your previously, um, *brief* statement I'd appreciate it!

Remove ads