• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Invisibility and AoOs

Elvinis75

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: re

Hypersmurf said:

The decision to use the power is made after the roll, but before the result of that roll is known. Thus, it has to be a metagame decision on the player's part, not a choice on the character's part... the character can't see the die roll, and the result of the die roll - the thing the character can observe - hasn't happened yet when the decision must be made.

-Hyp.

Don't want to slide into something different but this is a person DM call right? The rules in the SRD point to nothing that supports your claim.

"Granted Power: The character gains the power of good fortune, which is usable once per day. This extraordinary ability allows the character to reroll one roll that the character has just made. The character must take the result of the reroll, even if it’s worse than the original roll. "

This doesn't state that the player doesn't know the result of the roll. I do see it as a character choice and not a player choice. It is a granted power of the domain of the character. Thus I believe that it is a character active decision. He is able to view a second into the future and change the result randomly once per day. I don't have rules to back this up but I'm sure that I could find lose rules that follow this. Divinations like true strike and the like allow for the modification of the dice based on forsight. IMHO.

drnuncheon

Explorer
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: re

Elvinis75 said:

Don't want to slide into something different but this is a person DM call right? The rules in the SRD point to nothing that supports your claim.

"Granted Power: The character gains the power of good fortune, which is usable once per day. This extraordinary ability allows the character to reroll one roll that the character has just made. The character must take the result of the reroll, even if it’s worse than the original roll. "

This doesn't state that the player doesn't know the result of the roll.

That changes in 3.5, though - you explicitly need to say you're using your reroll before the DM tells you success/failure.

J

Elvinis75

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: re

drnuncheon said:

That changes in 3.5, though - you explicitly need to say you're using your reroll before the DM tells you success/failure.

J

While I don't think that it invalidates the granted power but it changes the power level of it when I thought it was fine before. Did they mention why they changed it?

Varmose

First Post
This is a very DM-interpretation oriented situation because AoOs are very situational. As a DM here's what I would allow (thanks everyone's helpful comments).

PCs get AoOs only against a pinpointed foe who is moving through threatened squares on terrain that makes tracks.

A) pinpointed; made really freaking high spot or listen, glitterdust, threw some flour on the invisible attacker ect.
B) for now I am only counting moving through squares because other AoOs are more situational. I might allow some others after a bit of thought.
C) the terrain must be conducive to making tracks (woodland leaves, grass, snow, filthy street ect) which would allow characters to not only pinpoint the enemie's location but track the enemy's footsteps as it moves. Flying creatures and enemies not on "trackable" terrain (clean street, iced over floor, ect) will be completely immune to AoOs.

I almost had a TPK from a single freaking CR 4 pixie! Flying + Greater Invisibility + sleep arrows = DEATH!

Greenfield

Adventurer
Ah, thread necromancy! How do I love thee...

Well, actually, I don't, but that's beside the point.

We tend to think of in-game time as segmented, a series of exchanges rather than continuous motion and action.

An AoO represents a cheap shot, literally opportunism in combat. It's reactive in nature. The other guy dropped his guard, he looked away for a split second, he managed to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and I reacted to take advantage of the opportunity.

If I can't see that opponent I can't see if he's dropped his guard or is somehow distracted. Knowing where his feet are because of snow, mud or other environmental circumstance that makes tracking easy is all well and good, but it doesn't tell me jack about his state of mind or his defensive posture.

You might have an argument for the case of someone moving past me in combat, but the withdrawal, dropping guard to read a scroll or drink a potion, etc? I can't react to an event that I'm not aware of, and because of the reactive nature of AoO, that means I can't take one.

So I'm with the RAW on this one: No AoO in cases of total concealment. It doesn't make any sense.

Remove ads