D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 is Anime! Wait, what?

Rechan

Adventurer
Okay. I know (and am glad) that the "4e=Video game/Anime/(insert)" arguments have really died down lately.

Paizo has announced they're sticking with 3.5+ (whatever you want to call it). So, clearly they're rejecting the stuff that is 4e.

So, I went over to Paizo's blog today. That's when this caught my eye:

[sblock]
PZO9010-Barbarian.jpg
[/sblock]

Isn't that... like, raging anime? Spikey hair, HUGE sword, etc? So what the hell? I thought Anime influence into D&D was BAD. That it distracted away from D&D's roots and its feel, and all that.

Last edited:

Ktulu

First Post
hong said:
As long as she's less annoying than Cloud, it's all good.

Is it even possible to be more annoying than cloud? Well, so long as you don't coun't Jar Jar binks, that is...

Ktulu

Geron Raveneye

Explorer
That's not anime. That is simply modern fantasy artwork borrowing some of the typical anime tropes :lol: (to use one of the more popular arguments from the "Find the Anime" thread...hey, nobody said I can't learn a thing or two. ;) ). If you want to see anime/videogamey, look at the current racial line-up in the Alpha rules. THAT is anime AND videogamey. :lol:

Also, that hair is not spikey, it's probably supposed to be windblown from her left side. ;)

AZRogue

First Post
That's not what I consider anime. That's what I consider very good art. The only time art bothers me is when it gets "cartoony" as in too BESM. That particular pic, and others that people complained about with 4E, is what I consider mainstream, now. It's just a good illustration.

Zulithe

Explorer
You want Anime? Open up the Pathfinder preview PDF and browse the races section for the art. Doesn't get much more anime than this.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
hong said:
Handlebar ears FTW!

...huh. I somehow missed that, even after looking at that pic a few times.

I don't understand why folk insist on drawing elves with enormous ears like that. It's just ridiculous.

Remove ads