D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Jump skill changes - What are they

drnuncheon

Explorer
In a nutshell:

running long jump DC is the length of the jump in feet.
running high jump DC is 4x the height of the jump in feet.

Standing jumps double both DCs.

+4 to your jump roll for every 10 ft of movement above 30, and -6 for every 10' under 30.

J

coyote6

Adventurer
Any ideas why the penalty for being slower should be different from the bonus for being faster? It doesn't seem to make mathematical or mechanical sense to me.

mmu1

First Post
coyote6 said:
Any ideas why the penalty for being slower should be different from the bonus for being faster? It doesn't seem to make mathematical or mechanical sense to me.

Jumping isn't just about speed, it's about kinetic energy. Reducing your speed by 33% reduces your KE by more than increasing it by 33% will increase it. Although I'm not sure whether that sort of thing makes sense in terms of game balance.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
See the reason for the -6 is because D&D is Satanic.

With a move of 20 ft. you get -6

With a move of 10 ft. you get another -6

with a move of 0 ft. you get yet another -6

Three sixes....the end is nigh. :D

(or something like that...)

CyberSpyder

First Post
mmu1 said:

Jumping isn't just about speed, it's about kinetic energy. Reducing your speed by 33% reduces your KE by more than increasing it by 33% will increase it. Although I'm not sure whether that sort of thing makes sense in terms of game balance.

Actually, jumping is about speed - most people aren't going to be in the air long enough for air resistance to be a factor.

But even if it was about kinetic energy, increasing your speed 33% would increase your kinetic energy by 77%, while decreasing it by 33% would decrease the kinetic energy by 56%.

No matter which way you slice it, it doesn't make much sense.

Remove ads