D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] MIN/MAX for fun

pawsplay

Hero
I raise you a Mirror Mephit.

Unless I'm missing something, I consider the simalcrum angle to be debunked:

Summoning
A summoning spell instantly brings a creature or object to a place you designate. When the spell ends or is dispelled, a summoned creature is instantly sent back to where it came from, but a summoned object is not sent back unless the spell description specifically indicates this. A summoned creature also goes away if it is killed or if its hit points drop to 0 or lower. It is not really dead. It takes 24 hours for the creature to reform, during which time it can’t be summoned again.

When the spell that summoned a creature ends and the creature disappears, all the spells it has cast expire. A summoned creature cannot use any innate summoning abilities it may have, and it refuses to cast any spells that would cost it XP, or to use any spell-like abilities that would cost XP if they were spells.

EDIT: Although, if it's base stats are better than most mephits, you might as well make a Paragon Pseudonatural Mirror Mephit.

Dandu

First Post
A spell-like ability has no verbal, somatic, or material component, nor does it require a focus or have an XP cost. The user activates it mentally. Armor never affects a spell-like ability’s use, even if the ability resembles an arcane spell with a somatic component.

Check, your move.

pawsplay

Hero
Check, your move.

"Or to use any spell-like abilities that would cost XP if they were spells" still fries you. Simalcrum would have an XP cost if it were a spell, so any summoned creature with a spell-like ability of Simalcrum will refuse to use it.

pawsplay

Hero
Good thing Lesser Planar Binding is a Conjuration (calling) spell.

That's definitely a compelling option for a 5th level spell. For a 4th level spell, I think you're still largely stuck with a Paragon Pseudonatural Dust Mephit/47th level Sorcerer.

Dandu

First Post
Not when you consider the fact that your use of summon Monster IV relies on much looser rules interpretations than anything I suggested.

Cactot

First Post
:) Although in fairness, your Mirror Mephit relies on a much looser interpretation of canon.

Does it? I was under the impression you could not summon creatures that have templates applied, perhaps I misremember that rule?

To the OP, I know this doesn't fit exactly within your guidelines, but the shadowcraft mage Shadowcraft Mage Handbook
is absolutely my favorite mage build ever, and should be able to hold its own with any melee build you care to come up with.

Remove ads