D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Monster Manual Errata?

ElMorte

Explorer
Is there an official errata available?

Bought the book saturday and noticed some changes.

1. The Rakshasa isn't vulnerable to blessed crossbow bolts anymore.

What's up with that?

2. "The save DCs are *abillity*-based." What does that mean?

Thx.

frankthedm

First Post
1. vulnerability too well known.

2. when a monster uses its treasure to boost its abilities or its scores go up due to advancing to larger size the DCs go up with the abilty scores

Katowice

Explorer
Erinyes also seem to have lost a few spell-like abilities, such as polymorph self (which was changed in 3.5, but it should have been replaced with something similar).

Psion

Adventurer
ElMorte said:
2. "The save DCs are *abillity*-based." What does that mean?

They have always been ability-based. Most DCs are based on 10+1/2 HD+ (modifier from one ability score).

Clarifying the exact ability is useful for two reasons:
1) When advancing a monster, it wasn't clear that the DC changes. It should, if you follow the mosnter design notes.
2) It was not always clear what ability score a special attack was based on. You could usually reverse engineer it, but in some cases, a creature's base stats were identical for two different scores. An example of this in 3.0 was the mind flayer. Before the Psi HB, it was unclear whether wis or cha was the basis of the psionic blast. If you made a classed mind flayer, that was sort of important.

Psion

Adventurer
ElMorte said:

What's up with that?

Actually it is:

"DR 15/good and piercing" sounds like vulnerable to "blessed crossbow bolts" to me.

Actually, now that you bring that up, that's pretty clever and show the flexibility of the new DR system.

I guess my only real gripe with the new DR system is not the system itself, but its application. And the potential of the golfbag syndrome (but then, if they weren't so free with the application, the latter wouldn't be as much of a problem...)

diaglo

Adventurer
ElMorte said:
Is there an official errata available?

Bought the book saturday and noticed some changes.

What's up with that?

no called shots in the rules. but like Psion posted they made adjustments for it. ;)

i have an ability based question. Umber Hulk "casts" Confusion and it is Cha based. but Umber Hulk has a Cha 13. which i would guess means he doesn't have the ability to cast a 4th lvl spell. also the DC is wrong as written.

The Serge

First Post
Katowice said:
Erinyes also seem to have lost a few spell-like abilities, such as polymorph self (which was changed in 3.5, but it should have been replaced with something similar).

All Fiends lost the bulk of their spell-like abilities in 3.5... one of the few things I think they messed up with in the MM.

Marius Delphus

Adventurer
diaglo said:
i have an ability based question. Umber Hulk "casts" Confusion and it is Cha based. but Umber Hulk has a Cha 13. which i would guess means he doesn't have the ability to cast a 4th lvl spell.

I had come to assume this (sort of thing) was because spell-like and supernatural abilities are *not* spells and don't have an attribute score prerequisite.

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
diaglo said:
i have an ability based question. Umber Hulk "casts" Confusion and it is Cha based. but Umber Hulk has a Cha 13. which i would guess means he doesn't have the ability to cast a 4th lvl spell. also the DC is wrong as written.
I do not think the DC is wrong DC 15 = 10(base) + 4(1/2 HD) + 1(cha mod). The ability is not a spell but a supernatural gaze ability that functions as if it was the spell confusion so it does not have a required ability score level.

Remove ads