D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Monsters - I could use some help

Melkor

Explorer
I was looking at converting some of the creatures in Necromancer Games' Tome of Horrors, and some issues have come up.

For instance, the "Blindheim" on page 22 of the Tome is a Monstrous Humanoid, has an Intelligence of 2, 4 Hit Dice, and has the following skills:
Hide: +8
Listen: +9
Spot: +5

In looking at the 3.5 Monster Manual, a Monstrous Humanoid get's the following skill points (and any skill that's chosen for the creature should be considered a Class Skill and cost 1 point):
(2 + Int Modifier, Minimum 1) x (HD +3)
In converting that over for the Blindheim above, he would have only 7 skill points to spend in 3.5.

Now that made me wonder how the original Skill stats were arrived at for the monster, so I went to the only source I had - the front section of the Monster Manual II. On page 9, it states that a Monstrous Humanoid gets the following for skill points:
(2 x Int Score) + (2 x EHD)
Which would be 12 skill points, still less than the Blindheim was given in the Tome of Horrors.....

So that leads to a couple of questions:
1) How were skill points figured for monsters in the Tome of Horrors (and other third party 3.0 products) ?

2) When converting this type of creature to 3.5, would you go ahead and lower the creatures skills ? If so, would you then lower it's total CR ?

Thanks!

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Here's how it adds up:

Hide +8: +1 Dex +4 Size --> 3 skill points
Listen +9: +1 Wis +4 racial bonus (see ToH, p.23) --> 4 skill points
Spot +5: +1 Wis --> 4 skill points

3+4+4 = 11 skill points spent.

Last edited:

Melkor

Explorer
Darkness said:
Here's how it adds up:

Hide +8: +1 Dex +4 Size --> 3 skill points
Listen +9: +1 Wis +4 racial bonus (see ToH, p.23) --> 4 skill points
Spot +5: +1 Wis --> 4 skill points

3+4+4 = 11 skill points spent.

Thanks Darkness, completely slipped my mind to add in some of that stuff. Still doesn't match up exactly, but it's a lot closer.

Remove ads