D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] No Readied Charges?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
CHARGE
Charging is a special full-round action that allows you to move up to twice your speed and attack during the action.

If you are able to take only a standard action or a move action on your turn, you can still charge, but you are only allowed to move up to your speed (instead of up to double your speed). You can’t use this option unless you are restricted to taking only a standard action or move action on your turn.

READYING AN ACTION: You can ready a standard action, a move action, or a free action.

------

So unless you're under a Slow spell (or a zombie, etc etc), you are not allowed to use the Charge-as-a-Standard-Action rule.

Since, therefore, you can only Charge as a full-round action, you cannot Ready a "partial charge" any more.

-Hyp.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Excellent, I never liked the partial charge idea; triggererd by the spell caster starting his spell and suddenly I'm across 30ft and hitting him? I don't buy it.

I think this is a good change.

The Souljourner

First Post
I don't know - under charge in the SRD it says if you're only allowed to take a standard action or move action on your turn, you can still charge, but you only get to move your normal movement instead of double your movement.

Now, I realize it doesn't specifically say you can do this with a readied action, but it seems to be the same as a partial charge. It can definitly be used during a surprise round, but it's unclear if you can ready it. Personally, I'd allow it.

-The Souljourner

Mercule

Adventurer
Tabarnak Smokeblower said:
When you ready an action, don't you restrict yourself to taking a standard action, move action or free action later?

That's exactly how I'd interpret it.

*shrug*

Whatever. Whether I'm right or wrong, I don't see any substantive change in the charge rules. Therefore, there aren't any in my game.

Malin Genie

First Post
I don't know how much this is worth, but in the RPGA Legend of the Green Regent (3.5E) at GenCon the consensus ruling was that a charge could not be readied (even restricted to 1x movement.)

Artoomis

First Post
Of course you can Ready a Charge.

Readying an action means you are resticted to only a Standard Action or a Move. (well, or Free Action - but you can always get one of those)

Under those conditions, you may charge, but only up to 1x your move, not 2x as normal.

Let's look at it:

My turn: I Ready an action to Charge when "X" happens. My turn is over.

"X" Happens.

Just before "X," it's my turn, but I only get a Standard Action or a Move. Oh looky - I can Charge with 1x Move per the Charge rules.

There you have it. Easy as pie.

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
Whatever useful it may be, is there anything by the rules preventing readying the standard action "start full round action" = start a charge? :rolleyes:

Remove ads