D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 PHB Errata are up...

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
3.5 PHB Errata just went up on the WotC website.

Lance is still a two-handed weapon with the special quality that it can be used one-handed while mounted, so there's still no rules support for the Sage's position that it doesn't receive 2-for-1 Power Attack and 1.5x Str bonus to damage...

But Animal Companions are now officially Animals :)

-Hyp.

kallisti_dk

First Post
That wasn't nearly as bad as I had thought.

Looking forward to the other erratas. Particularly regarding magic items, and the creation therof.

Curugul

First Post

Shapechanged drastically nerfed in high end/epic play, now if they'd just remove SU abilities and remove Gate from the game all would be well.

Curugul

Shadeus

First Post
Thanks for the scoop Hyp. I'm disappointed the "buff" spells (Bull's Strength, etc.) didn't get their duration changed to 10 min/level (instead of the worthless 1 min/level). One can still hope....

Stalker0

Legend
I really like how they explain what the problem is with a passage before giving the corrections, so its so much easier to read then previous errata.

Although overrun is very different now. I used to use overrun on a charge all the time!!:(

Mr. Patient

Adventurer
Interesting that they only fixed half of Spell Turning's problems. They changed the inflict critical wounds example to magic missile, because ICW is a touch spell, but then they left the fear example intact, even though it's an area spell.

The new format is very nice, though.

FrankTrollman

First Post
The new Shapechange nerf doesn't do jack didly - as a Druid with Karma Beads can still perpetrate the Phoenix Duplication or Balor Mining infinite power loops.

The removal of Overrunning is an attempt to actually enforce the concept that you can't charge through your allies (as written, you can declare overruns on your allies, and they can choose to avoid you and you still charge your enemies just fine). I think that's a horrible idea, as overrunning as part of a charge is part of what makes the Trample Feat work at all. This is like Rules Whack-a-Mole: the ability to charge through your allies was an integral and necessary portion of the 3e rulesset, and Andy's attempt to take it out is causing a lot of problems throughout the system, and each attempt to fix those problems is causing more problems of its own.

-Frank

dcollins

Explorer
I'm fairly amused by their brand-new rule #1, the "primary sources rule", which acknowledges that they expect to have a bunch of contradictions in different books, even the core rulebooks.

Grog

First Post
FrankTrollman said:
The new Shapechange nerf doesn't do jack didly - as a Druid with Karma Beads can still perpetrate the Phoenix Duplication or Balor Mining infinite power loops.

What are these power loops of which you speak?

FrankTrollman

First Post
Grog said:
What are these power loops of which you speak?

#1: Phoenix Duplication: Activate shapechange and magic jar, take over an enemy, then become a Phoenix. You now have the Immolation ability, so use it. You "die", which sends you back into the Jar and destroys your "host". It also creates a completely real and independently active CR 24 Phoenix which is Neutral Good and probably far more powerful than your whole party combined.

#2: Balor Mining: Activate shapechange, and become a Balor. You now have the Vorpal Sword ability, which gives you a completely real +1 Vorpal Greatsword. Drop it, objects removed from your body when you are shapechanged retain their shape and qualities indeffinately (so if you inject someone with poison and turn into a rabit they stay poisoned). There is now a +1 Vorpal Sword on the ground - so transform into a Balor. You now have the Vorpal Sword ability, which gives you a +1 Vorpal Greatsword. Drop it.....

Both of these tricks are usable with or without the 1HD per caster level limit listed in the Errata - and thus the errata solves absolutely nothing and is a waste of my time. As long as it requires house rules to the spell to keep it from being an infinite power loop, there might as well not be any errata to the spell at all. Issuing errata implies that the spell is fixed - and it clearly is not.

-Frank

Remove ads