D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Ranger

Gilwen

Explorer
Ok OK I know they just revised it but I have been thinking on this on and off for a bit.

I like the new ranger but I want to offer a variant without spellcasting. Any ideas on what to put in place of the spell casting?

TIA,
Bryan

Wippit Guud

First Post
If going with an outdoor ranger (as opposed to urban ranger), I'd include some of the non-wildshape abilities of druids, bonus fighter feat every 5 levels, possibly increased movement rate at level 10.

Probably be better off asking in the house rules section, they live for this stuff.

Skinwalker

First Post
My first suggestion would be d10 hit die. Their spells are part of the whole "skirmisher" image, so a Ranger without them would probably need to be a little tougher. IMO.

Jens

First Post
Assuming the class (with spells) is balanced, you should only give something new when something old is lost, not too much earlier. So I wouldn't give anything until 4th level, and I certainly wouldn't increase the HD.

I think some outdoorsy special/spell-like/supernatural abilities would be appropriate, for example at levels 4, 8, 12, 16, and 20. It could be as simple as giving spells as spell-like abilities (Commune with Nature?) or it could be new stuff.

Grayhawk

First Post
Here's an idea I toyed with when trying to make a spell-less ranger:

Since a ranger needs wisdom to use his spells, I think it can be too advantageous if you just give him something else, as that means he can dump his wis score without loosing much.

(Granted, the wis score is pretty useful in it's own right, but with a 25 point buy a ranger needs to sacrifice something else to be a decent spellcaster).

Therefore I thought of the following method of determining when a substitute power should be granted:

'Rangers can choose to not learn spells, but instead gain one of the following abilities each time they would otherwise have gotten a new spell level (as determined by wis):

Alertness
Nature Sense (3.0)
Never Flatfooted
Trackless Step
Woodland Stride'

Obviously, you can add to or change these abilities to some that suit your taste.

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
The best version of a spell-less anything is the AEG versions of the bard, paladin, and ranger, in Swashbuckling Adventures. For the ranger, they increase the skill points by 2 per level and add three special abilities at high levels that improve their ability to find and make use of herbs, specifically herbal healers & poisons.

paulewaug

yeah or ranger until spell casting and alternate between Rogue and Barbarian.
Or just play a Barbarian and call it a Ranger.

The rage is the only thing that doesn't exactly fit and it can be a sort of "Ki" ability rather than a enRaged thing.
Sort of "in the zone" hyper battle focus!
The skills match fairly closely and the preferance for light-med armor.

Remove ads