D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Shades-spell. Only summoning/creation, or not?

Dthamilaye

First Post
Hello.

I was reading the new shadow conjurations and shades and noticed that first of all, Shadow Conjuration says that it can only mimic Conjuration(Creation) and (Summoning).

The Greater Shadow Conjuration text says that it is the same as Shadow Conjuration and proceeds to specify the (Creation) and (Summoning) limit.

Now, the Shades spell text is like Greater Shadow Conjuration, but it does NOT have the creation/summoning only -limit.

Now, can a caster mimic ANY conjuration spell 8th or lower (as Shades say) or was this just a goof up and it should also read (Creation) and (Summoning) only?

Yeah, I find it possible to let shades do anything, as other 9th level spells are quite powerful too, like Shapechange etc. Problem is that then there would be the shadow planar bindings and whatever. I would love shadow teleportation though .

Thanks.

Dthamilaye

First Post
Sorry for bumbah, but I would like to get some other views on this subject, as one of my players (sorcerer) really would like this spell if it could mimic all conjuration spells.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I don't know of anyone "official" who has weighed in on this, but I think that you should use the spell as written- i.e. shadow teleportations are ok. Think of it as a wish that can only duplicate spells from the conjuration school.

Re Shadow Planar Binding: the shadow outsiders behave like their real counterparts, and will try to escape, demand rewards for their services, etc..

Particle_Man

Explorer
The idea of a shadow planar binding that has a 20% chance of failure if the shadow creature makes its will save gives me pause.

"But you are only a shadow duplicate of a Pit Fiend!"

"Sorry dude -- method acting!"

:)

Remove ads