D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Smackdown Challenge!

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Shayuri said:
As for Horizon Walker, I thought that the Dimension Door ability from Shifting planar terrain mastery only applied to planes with highly malleable natures like Limbo or or the Plane of Shadow.
I thought the same thing, but it doesn't appear to be correct. The description of the class says that the character retains his terrain bonuses wherever he goes. He doesn't need to be underground to gain Darkvision, and he doesn't need to be on the Elemental Plane of Earth to gain tremorsense.

The DMG description of the Shifting type does make mention of the shifting nature of the Astral and the Plane of Shadow. That appears to be flavor text though, since it's not included in the SRD. Compare to the description of the Weightless type, which explicitly says that its bonus only applies on planes with no gravity or subjective gravity.

I sent the Sage a question about this one, but I haven't received a response yet. I expect he's been swamped ever since 3.5 was released.

Technik4

First Post
I would try a barbarian build seeing as you are guaranteed 12 hp a level. Since you have 17 levels to work with you can even afford to take a template like half-dragon, half-celestial, etc. Barbs got powered up in 3.5 and things like Indomitable Will make even a straight barbarian a fairly house build.

17th level human barbarian (with 28 Con)
a. 357 hit points, 408 in a rage.
b. rage 5/day, dont get tired after rage, gain +3 vs Will saves and another +4 vs enchantments (so +7 vs enchantments in a rage).
c. DR 4/-, +5 to AC and reflex vs traps, improved uncanny dodge (21st level rogue to sneak attack him).

Only problem is merely 7 feats (if human). I suggest Track, Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Weapon Focus, Lightning Reflexes, Improved Critical, and Iron Will. I. Bull Rush is a little weak, can always substitute for Improved Initiative. Take Leadership if its available.

Get an Adamantine +5 weapon and youre ready to rock.

As an aside I think the dwarven defender build below would have 346 hp with 380 in a stance (and would have 1 more feat over the barbarian [not counting prerequisite Dodge, Endurance, and Toughness]). I feel without some of the non-core feats the defender isn't as viable as it is otherwise and would rather have the barbarian with more hp, more strength during a rage (that lasts 15 rounds and allows you to move vs 14 rounds of standing in the same place). Also, the dwarf is winded after the stance whereas the barbarian isn't. Keep in mind the goal is "race to the finish", dwarven defender (with 20 ft move vs barbarians probable 40 ft move) just seems like the wrong "tough" build.

Technik

Monty

First Post
apsuman said:
Sorcerer 7/ Dragon Disciple 10.

Just to be different.
g!

For a while, I was thinking that route (Pal2/Sor6/DD9).

This would get you amazing saves, great stats and 12 3rd-level spells of spells.

Dragon Disciple
Human Paladin 2/Sorcerer 6/Dragon Disciple 9

HD (2d10)+(6d4)+(9d12)+85; hp 237
Init +4 (+4 Dex); AC 19 (flatfooted 15, touch 14)
Base Atk +11
SA: Claws and bite, smite evil 1/day, breath weapon (4d8) 1/day
SQ: Aura of good, detect evil, divine grace, lay on hands, summon familiar, natrual armor increase (+3), ability boost (Str +4 , Con +2, Int +2), blindsense 30', wings.
Sv: Fort +24, Ref +17, Will +18
Str 24, Dex 18, Con 20, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 26

Possessions: cloak of charisma +4, guantlets of ogre power +2

Sorcerer Spells Prepared (6/8/7/12; save DC 18 + spell level).

Regards,
Monty

Monty

First Post
Technik4 said:
I would try a barbarian build seeing as you are guaranteed 12 hp a level. Since you have 17 levels to work with you can even afford to take a template like half-dragon, half-celestial, etc. Barbs got powered up in 3.5 and things like Indomitable Will make even a straight barbarian a fairly house build.

17th level human barbarian (with 28 Con)
a. 357 hit points, 408 in a rage.
b. rage 5/day, dont get tired after rage, gain +3 vs Will saves and another +4 vs enchantments (so +7 vs enchantments in a rage).
c. DR 4/-, +5 to AC and reflex vs traps, improved uncanny dodge (21st level rogue to sneak attack him).

Only problem is merely 7 feats (if human). I suggest Track, Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Weapon Focus, Lightning Reflexes, Improved Critical, and Iron Will. I. Bull Rush is a little weak, can always substitute for Improved Initiative. Take Leadership if its available.

Get an Adamantine +5 weapon and youre ready to rock.

As an aside I think the dwarven defender build below would have 346 hp with 380 in a stance (and would have 1 more feat over the barbarian [not counting prerequisite Dodge, Endurance, and Toughness]). I feel without some of the non-core feats the defender isn't as viable as it is otherwise and would rather have the barbarian with more hp, more strength during a rage (that lasts 15 rounds and allows you to move vs 14 rounds of standing in the same place). Also, the dwarf is winded after the stance whereas the barbarian isn't. Keep in mind the goal is "race to the finish", dwarven defender (with 20 ft move vs barbarians probable 40 ft move) just seems like the wrong "tough" build.

Technik

Overall, I tend to agree. Barbarians and Dwarven Defenders are on par as far as feats go. Certainly, toughness and endurance wouldn't be on my build if they weren't required by the PrC.

At 8th-level Dwarven Defenders get Mobile Defense which allows them to move 5 ft. per round without losing the benefit of the stance - I would hardly consider that mobile, but it helps.

Winded sucks. Tireless rage rocks.

At 17th-level, DD has slightly better saves (although Rage and Indomitable Will are great for Will saves) and 1/- better damage resistance. But it's barely measurable. Because the DD has endurance, I might take diehard just for the "extra" hitpoints. The barbarian still wins on hit points.

Fast movement is really sweet. A barbarian can charge into any combat.

The real clincher for me is the ability to wear heavy armor and the lovely +4 dodge AC bonus. Heavy Armor > Medium Armor.

I wish the barbarian class still got an additional AC bonus for dexterity.

Although I think the better armor and armor class nudges Dwarven Defender out front - it's certainly not black-and-white. They are very balanced classes.

BTW, I love the idea of a +5 adamantite weapon!

Regards,
Monty

Krail Stromquism

First Post
In an arena game we played there were a few key elements that popped up as we progressed and made new characters to survive better.

Ring of Invisiblity
Potion of Flying
abilty to cast Hold Person/Monster

Always be of Neutral Alignment.

The summoner is the way to go. Travel is a great domain.

If you stop and fight other players do you get their equipment? Or is it a race one at a time? If you have to get armor for fighters anything mithral to keep movement up.

anyhow sounds fun,

good luck

Monty

First Post
Great advice, Krail. I'm making changes based on your comments.

Krail Stromquism said:
If you stop and fight other players do you get their equipment? Or is it a race one at a time? If you have to get armor for fighters anything mithral to keep movement up.

It's not exactly an arena. It's supposed to be a cooperative party effort until the end when only one player can "win". Each DM starts a party of players (the size of the party depends on the number of players that sign up).

Players can leave at any time (teleport, etc.) and keep any gear or experience they gain. So I'm guessing this is going to be a regular event.

I don't know when the backstabbing will take place, but since there is a monetary prize I'm sure it will happen at some point. I'm sure that looting is allowed.

The more I think about it, the more I want to play a character that is tough but not on the front lines and not responsible for finding or disarming traps. The summoner is looking more and more attractive (or the focused mystic theurge). Versatile, but not expected to charge into any room.

Regards,
Monty

Remove ads