D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Space for Face

Melkor

Explorer
My wife bought me a copy of the 3.5 PHB (lovely, lovely woman!), and I've been reading through it. I noticed that people have been talking about the whole 'face' being replaced with 'space'.

I don't have my 3.0 books with me, and it's been about 1.5 years since I played 3.0.....I can't even remember what 'face' was.

Would someone mind explaining 1)What Face USED to represent, and 2) What effect this has on the 3.5 rules.

The 3.5 Combat Chapter seems to explain the space creatures take up rather well.....I don't have any questions after reading about it, so what is it about space that makes combat in 3.0 different than 3.5 ?

Thanks.

Last edited:

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
In 3.0, long creatures took up a rectangular space. For example, a horse took up two spaces.

In 3.5, all large creatures take up 4 spaces. The horse essentially controls a 2x2 square.

Melkor

Explorer
Thanks Meepo.

That just seems rather minor to me....I can't understand why some people would complain about the change...

Am I missing something important about how that changes combat ?

the Jester

Legend
Well, say you have a 10' wide road. In 3.0, two horsemen could ride side-by-side (and fight side-by-side) on it since the horses took up a 5'x10' face. In 3.5, a horse's space is 10', so only one horseman can fight on that 10' wide road at a time (the horse effectively being 10'x10').

Melkor

Explorer
Ok, I get it now.

To me, this is minor, and won't affect my future games.......Seems like a lot of DMs should just draw those roads a little wider on the battlemat. :)

the Jester

Legend
I agree, and I also agree with the reasoning for the change (the horse wheels around a lot when fighting). It's also very clunky to claim there's no such thing as facing when some creatures take up elongated faces like 5'x10'.

dcollins

Explorer
It's more telling when infantry confront cavalry. Say, a squad of 6 footmen confont a squad of 6 horsemen.

1.0 - 3.0: The 6 footmen are charged by 6 horsemen. Advantage: horsemen.
3.5: The 6 footmen can only be charged by 3 horsemen. Possible advantage: footmen.

the Jester

Legend
Don't forget that the horsemen can squeeze, though.

Remember too that, in real life, footmen can stand closer together than horsemen, so the slim advantage they can get from the new space rules are actually kinda realistic.

the Jester

Legend
coyote6 said:

Squeezing is a sucker's play, though -- half speed, -4 to attacks, -4 AC.

...and twice as many lance charges for double or triple damage each (with Spirited Charge). This means quadruple the potential damage. :)

Sure, you take a -2 to AC but you make up for it with a +3 to hit, with the chance of lots of extra damage.

Remove ads