D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Space for Face

Snipehunt

First Post
Now we have a rule showing why all those cavalry charges failed against disciplined pikemen.

But I don't much care for the new facing rules. Don't put large humanoids in dungeons, castles or buildings. Now a standard 10' wide corridor only holds one ogre. Or, put six ogres in a 10' hallway. If the first four are killed (say, 1 by a fighter, 2-3 by arrows or magic), the fifth can't reach the fighter and attack except by charging. Rethink ALL your dungeons and fortresses- this is a huge change - unintentional pun, sorry.

Conga line of death, all the time. Yawn.

DreamChaser

Explorer
Snipehunt said:
Now we have a rule showing why all those cavalry charges failed against disciplined pikemen.

But I don't much care for the new facing rules. Don't put large humanoids in dungeons, castles or buildings. Now a standard 10' wide corridor only holds one ogre. Or, put six ogres in a 10' hallway. If the first four are killed (say, 1 by a fighter, 2-3 by arrows or magic), the fifth can't reach the fighter and attack except by charging. Rethink ALL your dungeons and fortresses- this is a huge change - unintentional pun, sorry.

Conga line of death, all the time. Yawn.

Which does make sense after all. The idea of subterranean giants seems odd to me.

On thing that also needs to be kept in mind, is that a human on a horse uses the horses space, and thus presumable their reach as well. So a mounted character threatens 4 more spaces.

I think the rule makes great sense and keeps in line with the other rules better.

DC

Kae'Yoss

First Post
coyote6 said:

Squeezing is a sucker's play, though -- half speed, -4 to attacks, -4 AC.

Well, It's kinda weird that two horsemen can fight effectively on a 10-foot-road.

I don't mind the change. It's OK I think. And as someone said on the boards: you don't get as many ogres into the area of a fireball, it is funny that three ogres should be able to fight side by side in a 15-foot-corridor, even though the outer two can shake each other's hands without bending (and now let's talk about swinging ogre-sized greatclubs - called trees - without hitting each other).

Remove ads