D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Using 3.0 Monsters in 3.5 - Slippery Slope ?

Melkor

Explorer
In looking at the way monsters were designed in 3.5, and compare it to the way they used to be in 3.0 - I notice that as the CR goes up, the gulf between the two also increases. At higher CRs, 3.5 monsters have many more skill points, and 2 to 3 more feats on average.

Being the somewhat 'plug & play' type gamer I aspire to be, what kind of fall do I set myself up for as a DM if I leave the monsters as they were are in a 3.0 supplement and drop them into 3.5 without conversions (I would be using the newer versions of any spells they might have, and a DR based on the new rules) ?

I can't really see the Skill Points being that big of a factor unless the monster is going to be around long term (except for obvious things like Spot, Swim, and Climb).

What about the feats ? Do I risk majorly shifting the course of a battle if a creature doesn't get all of it's feats ?

Am I just setting myself up for problems, or is it a much smaller problem than I am making it out to be ?

Olive

Explorer
I wouldn't worry too much. If you're going to use a creature lots, then do 5 minutes of conversion. Of course, feats (other than bonuses) are based on HD, so look at the HD, divide by 4, and make sure the feats are right, add a couple extra if you think it will make much difference.

Melkor

Explorer
Olive said:
I wouldn't worry too much. If you're going to use a creature lots, then do 5 minutes of conversion. Of course, feats (other than bonuses) are based on HD, so look at the HD, divide by 4, and make sure the feats are right, add a couple extra if you think it will make much difference.

Thanks for the reply Olive.

I was really more interested in getting ideas of what I might be faced with if I didn't do the conversion. I can think of a few of the extra feats that could change the face of combat, but I'm wanting opinions of some things that could occur that I might be forgetting.

kreynolds

First Post
Some things I look out for...

1) The bonus hit points a construct gets can make a small but somewhat noticeable difference.
2) Damage reduction has changed substantially and seems to contribute a slight increase in the CRs of some creatures.
3) Energy resistance has change substantially. Pretty much the same as DR, if not a greater change.
4) Some instant-kill abilities have been completely removed from some monsters, such as the Nymph.
5) Spell-like ability packages have changed quite a bit with certain monsters.

Basically, you should be able to tell with a quick glance whether or not the 3.0 monster will work in 3.5 the way it was meant to.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Olive said:

Actually it's divide by three, but if it's just a quick encounter I wouldn't bother. It is only for the important critters in an adventure that the feats matter, an awful lot of innocent monsters meet their doom before they even get to say 'Wait! I want to surrender!'

The Auld Grump

Remove ads