D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] What changes to the Ring of Jumping?

Storminator

First Post
Sejs said:
Yep, looks like they scaled all the +skill items back something fierce.

'cause you know just how many game-breaking builds were centered around that whole being able to jump 4 more feet thing.

*nod*

I currently play with a Arcane Trickster that has at least half a dozen skill boost items. At the 3.0 prices, it was absurd. Now he'll be greatly reigned in.

And it's nice that jump skill boost items follow the same rules as the rest of the skills.

PS

drnuncheon

Explorer
The current monk in our party is very peeved at the changes to his movement rate (from 100 ft to 60 ft, thanks to boots of striding and springing not stacking with monk movement), jump ability (thanks to the boots not stacking with the ring of jumping), and the carpet of flying he just picked up as loot. Now, I have to try to figure out what to do about it.

The sad thing is that I think he liked the high movement because it made him special, but he doesn't get that he's even more special now because it's harder to get the kind of movement rate that he has. And to be frank, he really needs the boosts that 3.5 gave the monk - he can't hit a damn thing when he flurries.

J

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
The reduction of skill boost magic was a conscious effort on the part of the 3.5 designers to reduce the effect of cheap magic items overriding PC's skill point choices.

IMO a really good move. Now the skill boost items give a boost to a skill, but they don't make it irrelevant to take any ranks in the skill.

HeavyG - in the 3.5 rules for your barbarian to make a running jump and grap onto the balcony which is 13ft up, he would have to make a 13ft-8ft reach = 5ft vertical jump. = DC 20.

With his +30 bonus and taking 10 he could actually do this from a standing start (DC40). If he wanted to take 10 on a running long jump he clears 40ft and from a standing start he can jump 20ft along.

So taken into consideration with the new, streamlined, jumping rules, I don't think any of these changes are bad.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
... and besides it's always priceless the first time someone thinks it'll be really keen to hang from the ceiling and fire a bow at someone... then seeing their face when you describe all their arrows spilling out of their quiver onto the floor.

Damn gravity!

Depends on how the DM runs the Quiver of Ehlonna, of course.

-Hyp.

Andion Isurand

First Post
I was pleased to see the changes to skill bonus items. Even if its too much, it is still better than what we had before.

Last edited:

Remove ads