D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Wild Empathy

Felix

Explorer
Both the druid and ranger get this at first level.

They both add their class level and their CHA mod to a d20 roll to determine the result.

Nowhere can I find it say that they stack.

Do they not?

[/Slightly House Rulesish] Why on earth wouldn't they stack? Is a 12th level Ranger better at communicating with animals than a Dru 10 / Rgr 10?

Dr. Zoom

First Post
They should stack in the same way uncanny dodge stacks for barbarian/rogues, or the same way turning undead stacks for cleric/paladins. Check the 3.5 PH on page 59 for how this works. Although wild empathy is not specifically addressed, it should have been. I think they forgot to add it to the list of special cases.

As you point out, how could they not stack?

Wippit Guud

First Post
If going by SRD, relavent info is at the bottom of classes II under the multiclass rules, for those interested in looking. And they left out the druid/ranger connection on that

Vanye

Explorer
I think the animal companion abilties should stack, like they do for sorcerers and wizards. In my house rules, you can choose to stack them, or have two separate companions...

jabberwocky

First Post
Well, at least for the animal companion part, druid and ranger levels definitely stack. From the SRD, under Druid and Animal Companion:

Class Level: The character’s druid level. The druid’s class levels stack with levels of any other classes that are entitled to an animal companion for the purpose of determining the companion’s abilities and the alternative lists available to the character.

The confusion I'm having here is whether a Druid/ranger gets to use full ranger levels for animal companion purposes. Edit: Never mind, it should probably be Druid level + Ranger level-3, much like Cleric/Paladins turning undead.

Last edited:

The Souljourner

First Post
Rangers use half their level as their animal companion level, so it would be druid + ranger/2, unfortunately.

Ranger companions are pretty much relegated to scouting rather than fighting, which is why I'm going to take an eagle... fly 80 baby!

-The Souljourner

Remove ads