• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] within 5 feet/5 feet away

Vegepygmy

First Post
I interpret "5 ft. away" as beyond the adjacent square.
But the game does not.

"Most creatures of Medium or smaller size have a reach of only 5 feet. This means that they can make melee attacks only against creatures up to 5 feet (1 square) away." PHB, page 137.

"5 feet away" = square adjacent to yours.

Steely_Dan

First Post
What about 4 tiny creature in one square adjacent to 4 tiny creatures in another square, technically they can't attack (reach) one another (the other tiny guys in the square/5 ft. space next to them).

Vegepygmy

First Post
What about them? They are "5 feet away" from each other and can't melee attack each other because that's beyond their reach. Is there some further question that needs to be answered?

ImperatorK

First Post
Maybe Fog Cloud gives concealment even within the casters square, while Obscuring Mist doesn't?
09bh.jpg
09dh.jpg
09jh.jpg
09ht.jpg
test2.jpg
41.jpg
I already said that.

Steely_Dan

First Post
What about them? They are "5 feet away" from each other and can't melee attack each other because that's beyond their reach. Is there some further question that needs to be answered?

Yeesh, what is your problem, why the aggression, you okay?

I find it odd that 4 tiny creatures adjacent to 4 tiny creatures can't attack each other and they can't move into the other 4's space, because they are in different "squares, definitely a problem there.

Please anyone answer except for Vegepygmy, seems like something is going on there I don't want to get involved in.

Omegaxicor

First Post

I find it odd that 4 tiny creatures adjacent to 4 tiny creatures can't attack each other and they can't move into the other 4's space, because they are in different "squares, definitely a problem there.

Please anyone answer except for Vegepygmy, seems like something is going on there I don't want to get involved in.

He did seem a bit angry but he is right, they can't attack each other because they have a reach of 1.5-2" and they are 2.5-3" away, makes sense to me.

but I thought they could move into each others squares because that is how they attack, are they stuck 5 feet from their enemy with a 0" reach?

Vegepygmy

First Post
I don't know what makes you (and Omegaxicor) think there's some anger or aggression in that reply. I simply requested that you clarify what your question was.

Steely Dan said:
Oh, I see now. Yes, I would agree. I doubt the game designers gave any real thought to the possibility that 4 tiny creatures would be in one space, and 4 other tiny creatures hostile to the first 4 tiny creatures would be in another space, and neither side could melee with the other until one of the tiny creatures "made room" for the enemy.

That really has nothing to do with the topic of this thread, but it is a correct observation. I'd say it's (obviously) a situation ripe for DM adjudication. Personally, I'd allow the first tiny creature to enter the enemy square (provoking four AoOs), and if it survived long enough to attack, force it to return to its original square after resolving the attack. But that's just my solution to the problem, not RAW.

Steely_Dan

First Post
Oh, I see now. Yes, I would agree. I doubt the game designers gave any real thought to the possibility that 4 tiny creatures would be in one space, and 4 other tiny creatures hostile to the first 4 tiny creatures would be in another space, and neither side could melee with the other until one of the tiny creatures "made room" for the enemy.

That really has nothing to do with the topic of this thread, but it is a correct observation. I'd say it's (obviously) a situation ripe for DM adjudication. Personally, I'd allow the first tiny creature to enter the enemy square (provoking four AoOs), and if it survived long enough to attack, force it to return to its original square after resolving the attack. But that's just my solution to the problem, not RAW.

Strange little conundrum, I'm surprised it isn't brought up more, it all started when I wanted to make my anthropomorphic chicken monk NPC.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads