D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5e] Favorite non-Core Base Classes

rgard

Adventurer
For me...

Battlesorcerer (UA), Warlock (CoA), Dread Necromancer (HoH), Duskblade (PHB2), Erudite (CoP), Archivist (HoH) and Fiendblade (Lion's Den Press, Classes of Legend, by Ari Marmell) found here in the Enworld pdf store.

My apologies in advance if I violated some naming convention with the book abbreviations.

Thanks,
Rich

Drowbane

First Post
Incarnum... (incarnate and totemist): Enjoyable classes, once you wrap your head around the strange new mechanics. Niether are exceptionally powerful, but can be very enjoyable.

Martial Adept (yes, all three rock): I dig all three of the base classes out of Bo9S. Of those three, Swordsage is probably my favorite. Although Warblade is part of my favorite Gestalt.

Psionicist (psion, wilder): Both of these classes are great. Of the two, I'd say Psion is more popular. Wilders seem to be pretty under-rated. I enjoy playing both, but Psion is the other half of my favorite Gestalt.

Warlock (and its dragon-inspired cousin): a great class for beginners, and fun to RP. Not something a veteran takes if he wants *power* though.

#1 favorite non-core class? Psion.

pawsplay

Hero
Hexblade and Duskblade, and not just because I like armored casters.

The Hexblade is a much better opposite to the Paladin than is Blackguard. Both the Hexblade and Paladin are warriors with secondary casting. Paladins are heavily armored, divine, pious LG types; Hexblades are lightly armored, arcane, somewhat sneaky types of sketchy alignment but not dedicated to a particular ideology. Despite the above comments, I would not consider the Hexblade underpowered. They have some superior defenses for facing high BAB opponents, including several ways to get concealment, and their main unique schtick, the curse, is a HD-based Supernatural ability, which means no SR, and the penalties are killer. Against opponents with SR, they would use their spells just for buffing; don't forget, they have full BAB. They have a nice flavor to them. I just like them.

The Duskblade is a good implementation of the full warrior, full caster concept. Not overpowered, but still strong while not completely eclipsing either the fighter or wizard. Compared to the Hexblade, the Duskblade lacks the specialized cursing ability, but makes up for it with greater offensive casting capabilities and some nice utilities (like short range teleports and such).

I like the Marshal. However, they are definitely underpowered. Giving them a specialized set of bonuses that stack with everything does not make up for being, essentially, a 3/4 BAB fighter with no bonus feats with the buffing capabilities of a much lower level bard or cleric and no healing or utilities. Honestly, kicking them up to full BAB and d10s for hit dice would probably rebalance them; they lack a fighter's bonus feats or specialized attacks of their own.

Ahnehnois

First Post
My favorite is necessarily the warlock, for flavor, utility, and parsimony.

However, there are a number of nice ones; I particularly am fond of the Archivist, Hexblade, Scout, and Knight for flavor.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I love the:

1) Soulknife

2) Divine Mind

3) Marshal

4) Battle Sorcerer

5) Soulborn

6) Shaman (esp. with the 3.5 update in Dragon #317)

7) Sohei (esp. with the 3.5 update in Dragon #317)

8) Shadowcaster

Theroc

First Post
I have little actual experience with some of the classes I would now claim as favorites, but their flavor from my understanding jives with concepts I just love to play.

In no particular order

Swordsage(Magic-ish melee combatant, even if he has rogue BAB)

Totemist (I get to have the cool features and stuff of a mess of monsters, keyed on the same stat to avoid MAD? Awesome fun... IMO)

Binder (Basically a class that can change it focus day to day, similar to a totemist but with a slightly less feral vibe and a more 'magical' one... even though incarnum is kinda magic too.)

Warlock(Simplified magic that doesn't run out? Awesome fun!)

Duskblade (Seems a good mix of magic and melee stuff, which is something I always end up wanting, except in my feral berserker characters, usually)

Aus_Snow

First Post
Psychic (Psychic's Handbook)
Shaman (Shaman's Handbook)
Witch (Witch's Handbook)
Magister (Arcana Evolved)
Greenbond (Arcana Evolved)
Mageblade (Arcana Evolved)
Bruiser (a generic unarmed combatant, by Dr. Awkward of EN World)
Ranger (a non-magic class variant, by me)

Those are the best I can think of right now, that I've actually used, and found highly suitable, and fun while they're at it. Not all of those are classes I've actually played (as a player, that is) - but your players' fun and feedback is a pretty good gauge as well, I think.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
If we're going outside of WotC, then I definitely want to add these from Arcana Evolved: Akashic, Ritual Warrior, Unfettered, Witch, Mageblade, and Champion of Death (yes, specifically that one subset of the class). Witch and especially Akashic are possibly my favorite classes ever written anywhere, for flavor alone.

Remove ads