D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5e] Movement, squares, facing, reach and squeezing

Dimwhit

Explorer
2) Horseback. How does this work? When you sit in the center of a 10' x 10' "horse" what's your reach, which squares do you threaten?

I believe you occupy the same space your horse does, so 10x10. You keep the same 5' reach, so you can hit any square surrounding your 10x10 squares.

Murrdox

First Post
For horses, I think I almost would have prefered them "Crunch" the horse into a single 5' square than expand it. I mean... Horses aren't THAT much longer than 5', are they? Maybe they are a full 10' long, I dunno.

James McMurray

First Post
A creature's face isn't just a matter of how much actual space it takesup, but also of how much space it require to fight effectively. A horse for example may only be 7' long, but if it wants to rear and buck and spin it needs to have a 10' x 10' area to do it in.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
James McMurray said:
A creature's face isn't just a matter of how much actual space it takesup, but also of how much space it require to fight effectively. A horse for example may only be 7' long, but if it wants to rear and buck and spin it needs to have a 10' x 10' area to do it in.

Just quoted James because I want to reinforce this point. The space is the amount of space it needs for *fighting effectively*

They can move through narrower spaces, but at half speed and with a -4 penalty to attack and AC if they have to fight in a narrow space.

So two lancers galloping side by side down a 10ft corridor are going to have to gallop at half the speed of one on its own - which seems reasonable.

Incidentally, the purple worm as an example is 5ft diameter, 80ft long and has a fighting space of 20ft (with a 15ft reach). This fighting space would normally be coiled, but the DMG does contain rules for things like this fighting out of holes.

Cheers

DreamChaser

Explorer
so large, long creatures don't take up a square the witdth of their length? that makes more sense. they tend to coil and strike, keep moving in loops to keep all targets in range of their bites, etc.

Yeah, looking at the chart, the long and tall creatures generally require the same "space" to fight.

DC

Remove ads