• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[3.5e] Undersea Adventures: "Heirs of Turucambi"

Aeolius

Adventurer
I am now compiling my notes for "Heirs of Turucambi", an undersea campaign that will begin in the near future.

As the majority of the campaign will be set underwater, the game will draw heavily from supplements such as Stormwrack. Player characters must be able to swim (have a swim speed) and breathe underwater (aquatic or amphibious) without the use of magic. The campaign will begin at level 1-3, to account for characters with templates, monster races, and similar instances.

"Heirs of Turucambi" is set in the Oljatt Sea of Oerth, the World of Greyhawk. Originally detailed in "Greyhawk Adventures" and later featured at wizards.com, Turucambi is one of the "Mysterious Places" of the region. Knowledge of the World of Greyhawk is not required, for participation in the campaign.

Given my preferences, the campaign will draw from my interests in marine biology and my hobby of keeping saltwater aquariums, coupled with my fascination with various mythological creatures such as hags, dragons, and demons.

Be aware that life underwater has its limitations; typical potions are all but impossible to imbibe, paper scrolls will quickly disintegrate, and typical metal items are subject to corrosion. Many typical spells may not suitable for underwater casting. Treasure may be similarly altered, as many undersea races value rare corals, pearls, and shells far more than coins and gemstones.

Keep in mind that some of the best inspiration for an underwater campaign can come from the Discovery Channel and Animal Planet, visiting your local aquarium or fish store, and perusing ocean-related materials in a bookstore.

With that in mind, what are your preferences, for such an adventure? What would you expect to see, in an undersea game? What would make the campaign memorable, enjoyable, and enduring?

Last edited:

Seeten

First Post
Me!

As a half-fiend Half-hag Sorceror?

I kid, I kid.

Intrigue. Mystery. Combat. Sunken Temples, ships, and treasure. Rangers on Dire Sharks. Cute mermaids. The usual.

Technik4

First Post
Hi,

An undersea adventure sounds really neat. I was wondering if you were still looking for players? If you are please shoot me an email: technik4 at yahoo dot com.

Seeten

First Post
I believe we are still recruiting. Hags, undead, monsters, pirates, treasure, Sahuagin and sharks, how can you go wrong?

Aeolius

Adventurer
Sorry for the delay in replying. "Heirs of Turucambi" is now recruiting in ernest. I assume everyone had a chance to look over the Turucambi links in my first post.

As the game is a bit atypical, let's work on some rough character concepts, first. A brief glance through the MM gives us aquatic elves, locathah, and merfolk. Look a bit further and you'll see that a kuo-toa, locathah, sahuagin, skum, or triton might suit your fancy. Mind you, the game will not cater to evil PCs, so choose with care. There are other options in the other monster tomes, as well as choices like a half-elemental or dragon shaman, to look over.

Seeten

First Post
As the resident crazy person, I have gone ahead and done up a character that isnt even rough, its a fully worked up monstrosity. I think we ought to do a rogues gallery thread, to put the crazy characters into. =)

((yes, this is a shameless bump.))

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads